We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Stratford October / June

Which Stratford-upon-Avon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Stratford October / June

Try to avoid the times when the Bulldog Bash ( a big bikers festival ) is running (in June every year - check dates) - the town is overrun with hells angel motorcycles - it's probably not dangerous, but it can feel a bit threatening. Check also for the times of the Mop and the Runaway Mop which are funfairs which disrupt shopping, and travel - kids might like the rides, but the amount of diesel fumes which you have to ingest if you walk around the town is savage (October every year - check dates).

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,598 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Stratford October / June

There's probably a similar post on a parallel forum warning bikers to avoid Stratford between October and May, when the places is packed with noisy Shakespeare tourists.....

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Stratford October / June

Their website states it is in August this year - the 9th through the 12th.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Stratford October / June

Also, for those wanting to see a play, The Royal Shakespeare theatre is closed for a three year refurbishment from April 2007, followed by the Swan Theatre mid-summer. Plays will continue to be performed at The Courtyard Theatre.

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
463 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Stratford October / June

While respecting the opinion of the original poster, I strongly disagree.

There are indeed a lot of motorcycles attending the annual Bulldog Bash Motorcycle Festival which is held at Long Marston near Stratford. To describe them as "hells angel" motorcycles is patently ridiculous. See the festival website and make up your own mind http://www.bulldogbash.com/. People come from all over Europe to attend this event, so I guess it's a matter of how you feel about bikes.

The Mop and Runaway Mop (traditionally held a week later to find positions for those servants that ran away from their masters after this historic hiring fair) are now large funfairs which take over the whole town for a couple of weekday evenings each.

Again, if you like funfairs, this is great fun. If you don't like them do something else on those evenings.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Stratford October / June

Well said, Dave! When I saw the OP, I was about to post something questioning the "hell's angels" comment, but you have done the job nicely.

Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Stratford October / June

I'm, a bit puzzled by lovelydave's disagreement -I'm afraid that the idea that looking at the website will tell yout how overrun Stratford is, and the nature of the people who overrun it during the Bulldog Bash weekend, is the idea which is ridiculous.

That the Bulldog Bash is organised and run by Hell's Angels is no secret, as elementary research will show. It appeals predominantly to bikers who either are Hell's Angels or are Hell's Angel look-alikes, or the rat-bike fraternity. Many of whom may well be kitten loving softies at heart , but many appear threatening, drive deafeningly unsilenced bikes, and probably don't enhance the visitor experience.

Stratford has been a bit of a motorcyclists mecca for a while now and seems to attract very large numbers of noisy motorcyclists during the summer months, especially weekends. Some of these bikers drive very agressively - I've seen them doing wheelies along Waterside and up Sheep Street - which I'd consider to be homicidally dangerous given how congested these areas are. You don't tend to get so many speed freaks during the Bulldog bash but it's still awful . I try and leave the area during these few days.

The mop is quite good fun with children - I usually go myself - but I'd be really cheesed off If I'd travelled from a long way away to come to Stratford, and it was full of fairground rides which are as little as three feet away from ths shops, and which have big noisy smelly diesel generators blasting away all day, and have loud music playing all day. The Mop doesn't just operate during the evening - It was running last month in the morning.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid Stratford October / June

I often wonder why these bikes have noisy engines. I assume it's so the rider can look 'big'. Definately spoils things for other visitors to Stratford.

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
463 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid Stratford October / June

Well Henneth and StratfordYokel are entitled to their opinions, and mine is that these events all add to the colour and diversity of the town. I guess we'll have to agree to differ.

Maybe StratfordYokel would care to start a new thread telling us what he likes about his home town, now that we know what he doesn't like???

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid Stratford October / June

I'd rather a bunch of middle-aged bikers than a bunch of saturday-night drunks.

Anyone been to Sturigs?

http://www.sturgis.com/

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid Stratford October / June

I've no objection to bikers congregating on Waterside, discussing each others motorcycles, tattoos, Meat Loaf albums and what brand of petuli oil they douse themselves in. I would like them to make sure on Bulldog Bash weekend (or at any other time) the motorbike exhausts are road legal and don't create excessive and illegal noise emissions. I don't want to hear it, neither do I expect visitors to the Birthplace or Holy Trinity want to hear it either.

As for the Mop Fair, I love it. Travelling fairs always have that added excitement of being flung around on a waltzer or cyclone not knowing whether the staff have properly tightened up the bolts and, at an undisclosed time, ending up being catapulted into the air and impailed on a lampost.

Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon