We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon

Colville, Washington
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon

We will be traveling by BritRail and would like to do a day trip to Warwick Castle then go on to Stratford. Or would it be better to go to Stratford first then catch a city bus to Warwick?

Kenilworth
Level Contributor
388 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon

Just a quick comment from a 'local' !

Most local people regard Warwick Castle as very expensive and don't go there very often. I'm very surprised so many foreign tourists go there when there are many other castles and historic places to see in England for a fraction of the cost.

But Warwick as a town is very interesting and there is plenty to see and do (much for free), even if you don't go in the castle. In the town itself there are many very nice and reasonably priced places to eat and drink - you don't have to use the ones at the castle !

Colville, Washington
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon

Thank you for your "local" information. I do believe it's the "locals" one should ask for the best things to do and see in their area. Which castles might you suggest as a substitute? Would Windsor Castle satisfy our need to see turrets and such?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon

Warwick is the home of the glorious Collegiate Church of St. Mary. The church contains the Beachamp Chapel, built in the 15th century To house the tomb of Richard Beachamp, Earl of Warwick. It also houses the tomb of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leichester.

The chapel is a treasure I'd medeival art and a treasure of England. It's a wonderful addition to any visit to Warwick, and since it is a working church it is free. Of course, a donation would appropriate.

There is a tower to climb that kids might enjoy and I think the tower climb has a small admission charge.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon

Warwick is the home of the glorious Collegiate Church of St. Mary. The church contains the Beachamp Chapel, built in the 15th century To house the tomb of Richard Beachamp, Earl of Warwick. It also houses the tomb of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leichester.

The chapel is a treasure I'd medeival art and a treasure of England. It's a wonderful addition to any visit to Warwick, and since it is a working church it is free. Of course, a donation would appropriate.

There is a tower to climb that kids might enjoy and I think the tower climb has a small admission charge.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon

Sorry about the double post.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon

A wonderful castle, also in Warwickshire, is Kennilworth Castle. The castle was originally brith in the 12th century and has a long and fascinating history.

It was expanded and remodeled By John of Gaunt in the 14th century and Robert Dudley, Earl of Leichester and favorite of Elizabeth I in the 16th.

It's a ruin although much remains. It's owned and run by English Heritage So it's affordable. The site also has an Elizabethan garden.

I'm not a local but it would satisfy those looking for a castle experience. We very much enjoyed our visit.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,021 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon

Windsor is a wonderful castle to visit.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

If you are based in London, another place you might consider is Hampton Court Palace, which has lovely grounds, re-enactors, and Tudor kitchens.

I found Warwick a bit "Disneyesque" for me.

In London, don't miss the Tower of London--despite its name, it is a Castle.

Colville, Washington
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!

19. Re: Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 12:15