We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from london to birmingham

upstate ny
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
train from london to birmingham

Hi there, i will be travelling to Birmingham within the next few weeks and i have some questions re travel that i hope you can help me with.. I land in London at heathrow airport and am thinking about travelling via train to Birmingham, are there shuttles from the airport to the train station? What station would I need to depart from, and can you estimate how long that trip would be? I've contemplated renting a car but that may not be feasible at this point. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Is there some sort of railway pass that i could use for further travel -i.e. Stratford on Avon, and Warwick Castle? Thanks so much for your help

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from london to birmingham

moa13: You can take the tube into central London to Euston Station to get a train to Birmingham, or take the Heathrow Express, which goes into Paddington Station and then take the tube or taxi to Euston. www.nationalrail.co.uk is the site to check out times and fares. A Britrail pass would probably be more expensive than just getting tickets to/from London and to Stratford and Warwick. But you can check the prices on www.britrail.net

You can find a tube map on http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

London
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from london to birmingham

No direct trains from Heathrow. You need to go into Central London, or across to Reading and take a train onwards.

From London.

The most frequent (and fastest) trains are operated by VirginTrains and go from Euston station.

If cost is an issue, their is an alternative from Marylebone station, operated by ChilternRailway, which is a little slower but (for walk up fares) is usually cheaper.

From Reading.

Some VirginCross Country services.

Rail pricing in the UK is worthy of a doctoral thesis.

Links to all rail companies are available from www.rail.co.uk

upstate ny
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train from london to birmingham

thanks for all your advice. I'll start looking into the info tomorrow. Have a good holiday.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
41 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from london to birmingham

if you go onto www.virgintrains.co.uk you'll be able to buy advance tickets. You need to get on a specific train but they'll be a lot cheaper - they start from about £9 to birmingham. Buying a standard ticket on the day could cost anything upwards of about £30 depending on the time of travel. It's about a 1.5 hour journey. You can get special train and entry tickets to Warwick castle, and info about day tickets for train+bus travel on www.centro.org.uk

Tamsin_G
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train from london to birmingham

Hi,

If you want to avoid London all together you might want to consider coach. There's a direct National Express service from Heathrow to Birmingham which is a direct service. Its usually between 2h20 and 2h45 minutes. It brings you into Digbeth which is about a 15 minute walk from the centre of town. www.nationalexpress.com

Falcon Cabs is a good taxi service for the centre and south, 0121 603 6666. Yellow Pages (a services directory) have a mobile number that you can ring 24 hours a day (118 247) to get local taxi numbers off of wherever you are.

Enjoy Brum!

Tamsin

6. Re: train from london to birmingham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 23:20