We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will Nat'l Express coach make a special stop?

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
will Nat'l Express coach make a special stop?

Hi -

First trip to Europe...Touring Paris and then visiting friends in the UK. After the "chunnel" we are taking the Nat'l Express bus from Victoria station to Birmingham. The stop listed, is Birmingham Digbeth (city centre), but our friends live near the B'ham airport. They're suggesting to ask the driver to stop at the airport as it's right on the way to Digbeth station. Does anyone know if this is an okay request?

Thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
26,747 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will Nat'l Express coach make a special stop?

Hello domi

I see no reason why you should not ask - what is going to happen - either they will stop there to help you out, or they won't, in which case you have not lost anything anyway!

Go ahead and ask them, I would - seems sensible to me if they are 'passing' anyway!

EW

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: will Nat'l Express coach make a special stop?

There's no way he will stop at the airport - it's a mile or two off the A45 road into Birmingham.

He MIGHT be persuaded to stop at a bus stop on the A45 - IF that's the route he takes into Birmingham in the first place. If he doesn't have a Coventry stop he may well use another route. He's more likely to agree if you have no luggage.

I think it's unlikely though - it would be breaching the licencing conditions for the route and he could get into trouble if someone complains.

No harm in asking but expect a no

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will Nat'l Express coach make a special stop?

There is one direct coach between Victoria and Birmingham Airport

NX422.

Unfortunately (perhaps as you don't give any timings) this leaves London at 23:30

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will Nat'l Express coach make a special stop?

My suggestion is that you don't even try to ask it as Nat X drivers are told not to do this sort of thing. Would a coach to Coventry be any quicker ?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: will Nat'l Express coach make a special stop?

Doesn't do any harm to ask as long as you ask very nicely and are expecting a 'no'! Yes they're told not to, but I've persuaded a driver to stop where he wasn't supposed to before. No way will they go anywhere out of their way, but if there's a stop they can pull in at on a road they're on anyway, it's worth asking. Just as long as you don't try and argue with them if they say no!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
40 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: will Nat'l Express coach make a special stop?

Some of the buses that go to Birmingham will stop at the airport anyway - if not, I'd suggest getting a bus to Coventry and then getting a separate Nat'l Express coach from Coventry to the airport, they run quite often.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: will Nat'l Express coach make a special stop?

you could catch a train to Birmingham international

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: will Nat'l Express coach make a special stop?

I have never asked for this. They do run to a time table that they want to stick to and often insurance doesn't cover them to drop people off at un named stops. I think this is in case of accidents... so you can ask, but I wouldn't be certain you'd get a fair response. They might just tell you that you're on the wrong bus to stop at the airport and that you should get whatever other bus instead.

I probably would have crossed london and got the train from Euston to Birmingham international and got said friends to meet me there... but you may have already booked your coach tickets.

I've noticed the coach drivers can be helpful, only as long as the request doesn't put them out.

9. Re: will Nat'l Express coach make a special stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 13:17