We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clean Air Zone Charges

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
17 helpful votes
Clean Air Zone Charges

Has anyone encountered the Clean Air Zone charges in Birmingham City Centre and have an answer to the problems we have had? We spent 3 days in Birmingham on a city break. As we were driving in we noticed on a road sign there was a charge to drive through the city. I wasn't too pleased but understand some places, bridges, etc do that. Once home we waited for a bill to arrive but instead we've now just received TWO penalty charges ( of £60 each if paid soon, £120 each if delayed) one for driving in and one for driving out. Surely, this can't be right. Has anyone else encountered this in Birmingham?

95 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
7,140 posts
1. Re: Clean Air Zone Charges

Presumably your car didn't meet the emissions requirements to pass into/through the zone.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: Clean Air Zone Charges

I've no issue with my car and the charge itself, although I personally do not think charging to drive through a place should have a charge attached but that's a different issue, how is a tourist supposed to know about these things. How would I be informed how much to pay? I reveiced nothing asking for payment and now a £120 penalty charge is he first thing I get.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
4,910 posts
93 reviews
79 helpful votes
3. Re: Clean Air Zone Charges

These clean air zones are being introduced in many cities that suffer from traffic congestion (and the resulting pollution). There’s one in Bath and there will be one in Bristol soon(ish) too.

I suppose the moral of the story is that you Google the signage as soon as you think you might be affected. You are usually given a few days to sort out the payment. In the case of Brum you get six days.

Solihull
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
15 reviews
33 helpful votes
4. Re: Clean Air Zone Charges

You can check if your car meets the clean air zone rules here

https://www.gov.uk/clean-air-zones

Maybe if your car "passes" you can appeal.

I have an old 2008 Skoda Octavia and it says no charge for me.

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
54 reviews
47 helpful votes
5. Re: Clean Air Zone Charges

There are signs at every entrance into the Birmingham CAZ. Just like any road sign e.g. speeding .... if you miss them it is no defence. London currently has a much smaller CAZ than Birmingham but plans are afoot to increase their CAZ outwards to the M25. This will affect nearly one-fifth of the UK population who live inside the M25 never mind those who travel from just outside the new zone. How many will this catch out? Mind boggles!

Edited: 2 years ago
England, United...
Level Contributor
953 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: Clean Air Zone Charges

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/birmingham/2021/09/16/council-issues-more-than-800-clean-air-zone-fines-to-itself/

Torquay, United...
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
32,136 posts
45 reviews
38 helpful votes
7. Re: Clean Air Zone Charges

I'm surprised your accommodation provider did not mention the Clean Air Zone.

Just to be clear though, only vehicles that do not meet the emissions standards are expected to pay - it's not a Congestion Charge.

Incidentally I checked my own vehicle on the Government website - I don't get charged in Bath (and won't in Portsmouth when their CAZ is introduced this year) but I do in Birmingham.

https://www.gov.uk/clean-air-zones

The London ULEZ is not covered by the Government website, but by the Transport for London website.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

And the moral of your story is that if you need to pay you have to be pro-active and not wait for a bill to arrive. Sorry you learned the hard way.

Torquay, United...
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
32,136 posts
45 reviews
38 helpful votes
8. Re: Clean Air Zone Charges

And just to add, the London ULEZ is extended out to the North and South Circular Roads during October 2021. This affects cars and light vehicles especially.

Edited: 2 years ago
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
219 posts
64 reviews
50 helpful votes
9. Re: Clean Air Zone Charges

Just another money making scam, several big companies have left the city center and relocated elsewhere. I go on the train but can't remember the last time I went its been that long ago. Bring back the old Bull Ring!

Solihull
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
15 reviews
33 helpful votes
10. Re: Clean Air Zone Charges

>>>>several big companies have left the city center and relocated elsewhere.

Like who ???????

Reply to: Clean Air Zone Charges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.