We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic around Birmingam

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic around Birmingam

I am coming up from down South to see a gig at the Academy in a couple months time on a Wednesday evening, and so will arrive on the M42 at around 6.30/7pm. I want to know if I should expect lots of traffic coming from the M42 along the A34 up to Camp Hill Circus, or does the traffic normally run smoothly, except of course for when there are accidents etc.

Dave

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic around Birmingam

Hi

At that time a lot of the traffic should have eased off, but you never really know with the M42 to be honest, although the variable speed limit around that area has helped a lot. If I was you I would carry on onto the M6 northbound and get off at junction 6 (Spaghetti Junction) and get into the City Centre that way, as the Academy is easier to access by this way

From my experience of your journey though, your main problem can be on the A34 around the Oxford area. It can get really snarled up at times, especially if there is an accident (which always seems to be the case when I have done it). So give yourself plenty of time.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic around Birmingam

Thank you for the info I will do what you suggest.

Dave

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
231 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic around Birmingam

Agree with my fellow Brummy on this one. Carry on the M42 to the M6 and take the Expressway straight into Birmingham City Centre.

It should be a bit queiter then but in any event you will be going against the traffic as most of it is coming out of Brum.

There is an NCP Cark Park directly opposite the Academy or follow signs to Snow Hill/Livery Street parking which is a short walk away. Its only a couple of quid for the evening after 6pm.

PS - Don't wear your best shoes to the Academy. We call it the "sticky floor" place. Probably best that its dark in there and you can't see the floor!

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Brum Tours
Brum Tours
431 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic around Birmingam

See we do agree on things Silvergirlracer LOL

As for parking there is an open air car park by Moor St Queensway and Dale End (I cant remember the operators name) but you would see it as you get into the City Centre. The Academy is then just a 2 min walk away, and is great when you want to get away from the venue

I love the Academy, it has a great atmosphere and as Silvergirlracer says, the floor is something to behold and do agree that it usually dark to cover what is down there

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic around Birmingam

Thank you all for your advice...

Dave

6. Re: Traffic around Birmingam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 19:16