We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay: central, cheap and nice

London
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to stay: central, cheap and nice

Hello

We are coming to Birmingham this weekend and will be going to an event at The School of Art in Margaret Street, which i beleive is within Birmingham’s gallery and museum district. We want a hotel/B&B which is not too bleek and not too far away (although don't mind having to get a cab one way). Its hard not knowing the city to ascertain how close the hotels are to this place. I have been suggested Etap and NiteNite but both are fuly booked.

Any ideas gratefully received.

thanks

Naomi

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay: central, cheap and nice

Leaving things late mean you will have to pay more, thats if there is room of course.

You could try the Travelodge or Jury's Inn both on Broad street, which is about half a mile from Margaret Street.

There is also the Burlington Hotel. On New Street and is about a 5 min walk (at most) to where you want to go

Also very close is the Briar Rose lodge,which is part of Wetherspoons. However, I dont know anyone who has stayed there and reveiws on here are mixed, but the location would be ideal for you

A little further out but still walkable, you could try the Ibis hotel in the Arcadian centre.

Hope this helps

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay: central, cheap and nice

Well you learn something new every day! I've lived in Brum all my life and spent nearly 30 years working in the city centre but I'd never heard of the Briar Rose. I see its in Bennetts Hill and from the reviews it sounds long past its best - how long has it been there? Admittedly I haven't been in this area much in the last 10 years, but I have no recollection of anything remotely resembling a hotel in Bennetts Hill in my day - is this a former office block or bank or something?

London
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay: central, cheap and nice

thanks for your help. In the end nitenite got a cancellation so we went there. It was great. Also not mayn people seemed to know this but near the Hippodrome there is a fab Japanese style karoke box. i and lots of reinds were there until 4am so infact didn't get as much time in hotel as I would have liked!!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay: central, cheap and nice

Rosyposey - the Briar Rose is part of the Wetherspoons pub. If you walk down Bennetts Hill, you won't miss the pub (white with black 1920's style signage) but the fact theres hotel rooms would be easily missed. It still looks like pubs, banks and offices on Bennetts hill.

Can't comment on the hotel part but the pub itself is fine, though we normally head for the Troc on the next road :)

5. Re: where to stay: central, cheap and nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2008, 13:03
6. Re: where to stay: central, cheap and nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 14:19
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham