We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from Birmingham

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
day trips from Birmingham

Hello fellow tripadvisors, I hope you can help me.

We will be spending 4 days in Birmingham in January next year, after 4 days in London.

Can you advise some day trips we can do to interesting places nearby.

I am not familiar with the area around there. They need to be within a reasonable range as we don't want to spend the whole day travelling.

We visit Stratford upon Avon & Bath before returning home to Australia.

Thanks in advance for your help

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
London
London
England, UK
Stratford-upon-Avon
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire, UK
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips from Birmingham

Alton Towers Adventure Park ?

The Peak District, if you are doing this by train go Birmingham - Derby - and then the Matlock line. If you like walking then Cromford would be a better stopping point then end of the line Matlock. Cromford also has Industrial history as does much of the Derwent valley. Kedleston H|all and Calke Park are National Trust houses near Derby. The Birmingham-Derby train takes about an hour.

While you are in Birmingham take a look at the canal network.

In Dudley is the Black Country Museum with period houses and a mock-up of a coal mine.

Mentioned in this post
Alton Towers
Alton Towers
14,696 Reviews
Alton, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Derby
Derby
Derbyshire, UK
Matlock
Matlock
Derbyshire, UK
Dudley
Dudley
West Midlands, UK
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips from Birmingham

Is Alton towers open in January?

As well as Stratford, you could go also go to Warwick Castle

The Black Country Museum is a good day out as has been mentioned

Within Birmingham, there is the canal system and would take a boat trip on the canal as is very interesting, and the shopping areas to walk around, and there is also the Art Museum. I would also recommend highly the Cadbury World, which is a great day out, learning how chocolate is made as well as tasting the goods

Mentioned in this post
Alton
Alton
Staffordshire, UK
Warwick Castle
Warwick Castle
12,567 Reviews
Warwick, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Cadbury World
Cadbury World
8,051 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
600 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips from Birmingham

I'd second (or third :-) ) the Black Country Museum - it was fascinating. There is a canal boat trip that takes you underground I seem to remember. And not entirely weather dependent, although I would do the obvious thing and check that it is open - I've no doubt the opening hours are more restricted at that time of year. It is easily a whole day experience especially at that time of year when it gets dark early.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips from Birmingham

My first choice would be Lichfield, about a half hour by train, for its medieval cathedral, childhood home of Samuel Johnson, home of Erasmus Darwin and statue of the unfortunate captain of the Titanic.

Shrewsbury (1 hour by train) might be another good option, especially if you are a Brother Cadfael fan or into Roman stuff.

Mentioned in this post
Lichfield
Lichfield
Staffordshire, UK
Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury
Shropshire, UK
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
396 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips from Birmingham

Oxford is not too long by train or car and the city is very accessible from the station and could certainly be done at a leisurely place

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips from Birmingham

Big Dave's fondness for Derbyshire is admirable, but some of his ideas are a bit fanciful. To reach Calke, for example, by public transport, would involve an awful lot of walking!

And if you are into theme parks, Drayton Manor is much nearer and easier to reach than Alton Towers. I quess both close during the winter moths.

I second the recommendations of Cadbury World, the Black Country Museum (the boat trip is into part of the Dudley Canal tunnel system) and the canals. Broad Street is a good starting point as the whole area has been renovated. There are shops and eating places there.

One thing you might consider is the purchase of a Centro rail ticket. Foe just £5.30, you can travel in a defined area on bus, tram and train, and visit Coventry (for the cathedral), Walsall, Wolverhampton and the Jewellry Quarter for example

Mentioned in this post
Derbyshire
Derbyshire
England, UK
Drayton Manor Park
Drayton Manor Park
5,650 Reviews
Tamworth, UK
Alton Towers
Alton Towers
14,696 Reviews
Alton, UK
Cadbury World
Cadbury World
8,051 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Dudley
Dudley
West Midlands, UK
Coventry
Coventry
West Midlands, UK
Walsall
Walsall
West Midlands, UK
Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
West Midlands, UK
Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips from Birmingham

Thank you all for your suggestions, I knew I could depend on people on this forum.

We planned our whole trip to Hong Kong by using trip advisor last January.

Thanks once again,

Pat

ps. your mention it gets dark early, about what time would that be?

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
600 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips from Birmingham

It was me that mentioned it gets dark early :-)

In January that means it's dusk by 4p.m. even if the weather has been sunny during the day and dark by 5p.m. really.

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trips from Birmingham

I am in the Blue Mountains in Sydney and we get dark around the same time in winter.

I believe you have had an extremely cold January, can you tell me what the temps are usually around that time?

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
600 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trips from Birmingham

Well - you can't really predict - only within a 'usual' range and that is round about 5/6 degrees C in January I guess. It's more that it's often very damp as much as cold. This year has been unusual, which is why it's made headlines. It's not what you'd call warm that's for sure!