We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice restaurant required

2 posts
Save Topic
Nice restaurant required

I am taking my mum to see a show for her 60th this August and providing a chaufer driven car, the final thing I need is a good place to eat in the evening. I want to take her to a nice restaurant that's not too far from the NEC, any suggestions?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice restaurant required

last time I did a show and meal in Birmingham we ate at the restaurant of the Malmaison Hotel in the Mail Box which was great.. however it was lunch time, may be different in the evening.

Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice restaurant required

City centre restaurants are not ideal if your show is at the NEC unless you are prepared to travel - I note you have a driver and car so maybe that’s not a problem. If travelling is ok – then out of town I would go to my favourite – Liaison, Hall Green (about 8 miles from NEC) http://www.liaisonrestaurant.co.uk Great value fixed price menu – really is Michelin quality without all the fuss. If city centre, then Malmaison is very good, as is Hotel Du Vin, Opus and for really upmarket Michelin starred food – Edmunds (in Brindley Place) is fab.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice restaurant required

City centre isn't all that close to the NEC but it is where you will find the best restaurants, I recommend going to the Mailbox where you will find a lot of restaurants all different types of food.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice restaurant required

If you like Italian food, I can thoroughly recommend Giovanni's Restaurant at Dickens Heath. The food is excellent, and it's not too far from the NEC.

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
639 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice restaurant required

the beeches bar and grill in Hampton in Arden- about 5 minutes from the NEC

dallas texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice restaurant required

We were in Birmingham in June. Edmonds is a jewel in the city. Very small so you really need reservations. We stayed at the Malmaison and their restaurant was nice, but not very fancy for a special occasion. We also went to Simpsons that is a Michlain rated restaurant. It was probably one of the finest meals we have eaten. We did the 7 course tasters menu and enjoyed every bite. Very special place.

7. Re: Nice restaurant required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2010, 05:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor