We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Etap hotel closer for going to Conference at NEC?

Weymouth. UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which Etap hotel closer for going to Conference at NEC?

I am going to a conference at the NEC next week and have funding of £50 for a hotel so will go for an Etap as this is fine for my requirements and withing budget, but though arriving at main station means close to Etap City Centre, i believe Etap Airport closer to NEC...is that so??

Is there a direct bus/ train etc??

Also where to grab something to eat as a lone female traveller!!!

Thanks for any advice.

Lucie

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Etap hotel closer for going to Conference at NEC?

There is an Etap at Birmingham Airport which is pretty much part of the same complex as the NEC. However, not too much to do around there at night but it is safe and you will find hotels with restaurants so a few places to eat. Also, airport and NEC hotels well used to lone female travellers so you will have no problems at all. The Birmingham City Centre Etap is on Bristol Rod, about 400m from Birmingham New Street Station. Loads of restaurants and bars nearby and safe as long as you are sensible i.e. don’t wave your designer handbag in the air whilst walking down any back streets. Stick to main roads and if you want to travel around the city centre, catch a cab –cheap and plentiful. Birmingham New Street has a direct link by train to the NEC (International Station) trains run every few minutes and can take as little as 9 minutes if you catch aVirgin train. I would opt for City Centre Etap.

Weymouth. UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Etap hotel closer for going to Conference at NEC?

Thats really helpful...was thinking the same as can hopefully leave my luggage there! Or maybe at station somewhere and just collect on way home. Sadly being a'student' of sorts, no designer bags!! LOL!!!...I am training to be an Early Years Professional (little like a PGCE for early Years ie 0-5yrs sector) and conference is for this.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Etap hotel closer for going to Conference at NEC?

Just a final suggestion – If staying city centre, the Ibis in the Arcadian Centre is in a better location for bars/restaurants, about the same price as Etap and just as close to New Street Station – might be worth a look. Etap and Ibis I think are all part of the same Accors Group of hotels.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Etap hotel closer for going to Conference at NEC?

If its for one night I would stay at the Etap at the airport. The NEC is within 5 minutes and you can always get something to eat at the airport, and saves you getting to the train station, then into the City Centre and back again for your conference.

5. Re: Which Etap hotel closer for going to Conference at NEC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 06:17