We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birmingham should be Boasting

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Topic
Birmingham should be Boasting

Right so

We sold ourselves short.

Disappointed to say the least and not at all pleased with ourselves.

It was my fault..... no it was hubbies fault...... no it was my fault.... anyway who cares...... whats done is done. What was I thinking - Only one night?

Flew in Friday morning to attend the Good Food Show. Tickets for the Fri/Saturday, booked to stay in the Burlington knowing it was close to New Street Station and that we would be able to have a quick scoot around the Christmas Market before going to dinner in my favourite brummie's restaurant (Purnells). Will write review of each.

Have to say we had a wonderful time at the Good Food Show - despite the 27,998 other people we shared the arena with on the Saturday, not to mention the thousands at the motorbike exhibition as well. What a brillant convention centre and all the associated amenities. Thanks to Rosyposey we disposed of our luggage and coats in one of the NEC cloakrooms - no hastle at all.

Anyways back to the negativities - arrived into the city around 5pm on the Friday, out of the station to be met by a wonderous explosion of lights, atmosphere and the wish it was icy cold to really savour the Christmas Market. We were in Vienna last December during the Christmas Market season and I will honestly say that the atmosphere, ambience and overall festive feel was far more apparent in Birmingham. A mug of gluhwein was in order (your mugs are far nicer than Vienna's too!!). A Mad rush around the stalls before dinner and although I have more than enough Christmas ornaments/decorations I just HAD to buy some more (and far more cheaper than Vienna too - even with the exchange rates the way they are at the moment).

Dinner in Purnells was as delicious as our first time in September 08 and I'm wishin I was a Brum so that I could go there more often!

Dont know if it was a result of the wine we consumed or the cosiness of our bed and the blackened out curtains in the Burlington, but we slept through until after 10am on Saturday (unheard of in "our world"!), so I didnt get to partake in one of my favourite activities - shopping!. Ran up the little street opposite the Burlington to have a look in Hobbs (I had bought a lovely pair of shoes there the last visit), only to find it has relocated - so my crisp sterling notes never saw the light of day. Suppose I have to keep them for a return journey!

As we left New Street Station onboard a Virgin Train heading for the NEC we knew we had sold ourselves short. One night wasnt enough.

Take a bow Birmingham, you have put me in the festive mood with your fantastic Christmas Lights, wonderful Christmas Market and I'll raise a glass to you all with the two bottles of Port I bought in the Airport on the way home.

Now if I could only find an excuse to return........

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,865 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birmingham should be Boasting

It's not just you. Offspring went on a pre-christmas weekend for the markets and shopping last year much to my consternation. I thought it was surely a bad idea, but lo she is returning this year and can't wait. It's amazing apparently, but then you already know this.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birmingham should be Boasting

Little Pumpkin - what a brilliant review. Come back again soon.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birmingham should be Boasting

Excellent Review and really pleased you had a great time. Will say it again but for me the Christmas Market is one of the best there is anywhere, and is even better this year

4. Re: Birmingham should be Boasting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2010, 06:24
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham