We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitor

I'll be visiting Birmingham in January for 3 days. Can anyone tell me what are the best sights are ?(either in town or a short train ride away) Also I'll need restaurant reccomendations (Good food, quiet surroundings) Thanks.

BJM
Derby, England
Level Contributor
293 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor

Well I suppose it depends what you are interested in but apart from some good shopping in the City Centre. The National Trusts "Back to Backs" are great local history. They are a group of terraced houses which have been "frozen in time" - I think they cover between the 1840s to 1970s. Fascinating - there is an entrance fee but well worth it.

The Ikon Gallery in the City Centre is also worth a visit - sometimes has some great exhibitions.

If you want to take a short train ride to Bournville and are keen on chocolate then there is always Cadburys World (c. 15 minute walk from the station). Again interesting re chocolate making process and there are usually some free samples!

These would be my top 3 but there is lots to see in Birmingham and the surrounding area. Some great theatres as well - but will probably mainly be pantomime in January.... although that is an experience in its self.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor

Yes, there's lots to see in Birmingham. Particularly recommended are the canals, which have been much improved in recent years and offer interesting sight seeing. Check out the Birmingham Indoor Arena where there are some fantastic shows.

If you do decide to travel, get a Centro day pass on the railway, outside of peak hours, gives you very cheap travel to surrounding towns.

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor

Good recommendations from the previous posts, however your not far on a train ride to Stratford which is more for sightseeing etc also Warwick. Lots of trains running everwhere in the Uk for Birmingham

Birmingham City does not have a quiet side for food, loads of resturants in the Broad Street area , but it is a city and with any city it is very busy and commercial.

west midlands uk
Level Contributor
154 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor

Excellent recommendations so far, depends what you want to see.......... thinktank is good if you have children with you? Cadbury world is good, Stratford and Warwick are great too.

I agree the whole canal area is worth a visit - nice places to grab a drink there too.

Shopping is good in Brum - theres the Bullring, and the markets (Tue/Fri/Sat)

Have got an eating out guide - lots of places depends on taste - the balti belt is only 3 miles from town (taxi only about £7-£8) food there is great if you like spicy food.

Cant really comment on eating out as im vegan so tend to go to the veggie cafes/balti but there are some good chinese buffets in town.

Let me know if you need any more info from my eating out guide!

Alison

west midlands uk
Level Contributor
154 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor

This might be of interest?

www.birminghambites.com/exec/109327/18766/

http://www.beinbirmingham.com/

Alison

Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitor

Jewellery Quarter

Art Gallery

Warwick castle - best preserved castle in UK

Stratford

Birmingham, UK
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitor

www.birminghamplus.com - kind of the trip advisor for restaurants in birmingham - and is the definitive guide for me when eating out in the city...

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
467 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visitor

Stratford-upon-Avon is a short train ride from Moor Street station.

There's plenty to see at this time of year, and in January, the theatre is running "behind the scenes" workshops (make-up, props etc).

We have dozens of fantastic restaurants, and at this time of year you can easily get a table!

The Shakespeare properties are open all year, and then there's the river (and canal!), fantastic Warwickshire countryside, and Warwick castle nearby.