We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Birmingham advice please?

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weekend in Birmingham advice please?

Hi All,

I'm staying @ the mint hotel for my husband's birthday soon, I was looking to book a good indian restaurant for a Saturday night. I've had a look online and come across both Asha's and Pushkar are both of these good? Which would you recommend or would you suggest somewhere different?

We will also be going out for a few drinks afterwards and was wondering the best area for nice bars.

Many thanks x

Mentioned in this post
Pushkar
Pushkar
2,447 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Birmingham advice please?

Pushkar is very close to your hotel and is very good and a lovely restaurant in which to spend the evening. Other top end Indian restaurants include Shimla Pinks, Asha’s, Itihaas and Lasan (winner of Gordon Ramsey’s F Word). All are excellent with food consistently good. Lasan’s dining room is not as plush as the others – it’s a bit more minimalist but still very nice. Reservations for each restaurant will be required. All 5 restaurants are in the city centre and you could walk from your hotel but probably better to take a taxi - at least to Lasan and Itihaas (lots of nice bars around this area in St Paul's). I advise you look at each restaurant’s website and menu, then decide which one you want. Depending on which restaurant you choose, then we can advise on bars which are close to the restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Pushkar
Pushkar
2,447 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Shimla Pinks
Shimla Pinks
451 Reviews
Leicester, UK
Itihaas Restaurant
Itihaas Restaurant
680 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Lasan Restaurant & Bar
Lasan Restaurant & Bar
1,404 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Birmingham advice please?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply I have looked at the menu's and trip advisor reviews and I think I'm going to book Asha's. I really liked the sound of Pushkar's with the cocktail bar but the menu seems quite limited online do u know if this is the full menu?

What bar's would you recommend around Asha's, i have also heard that St Paul's area is good is that far?

Thanks x

Edited: 05 April 2011, 12:01
Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Birmingham advice please?

Loopy – as far as I know, the online menu at Pushkar is the same when you get there – although may be subject to slight change if they cannot get the ingredients or have specials.

St Paul’s bars – The Rectory Bar, Stirling’s Bar, The Vaults, Vertu Bar, The Drop Forge and The Jam House are all good bars with a mix of ages – all within 10-15 minutes walk of Asha’s. Close to Asha's is Hotel du Vin which has two wonderful bars. They all have websites so take a look at them and see if any particularly appeal.

The Mailbox has a lot of late night bars for all tastes and it is close to your hotel.

Your hotel is near some very nice bars too – Bank and Nuvo are both excellent for cocktails - before dinner they are quieter so maybe more appropriate for romantic evening.

If traditional pubs are more your thing, The Wellington (Bennetts Hill) and Old Joint Stock are excellent with good choices of beers, wines, spirits etc.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Pushkar
Pushkar
2,447 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
The Rectory
The Rectory
340 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Stirling
Stirling
Stirling, UK
The Vaults
The Vaults
327 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
The Jam House
The Jam House
276 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
The Mailbox
The Mailbox
146 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
The Wellington
The Wellington
437 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Birmingham advice please?

Hi Brum74, thanks for all the info its been really helpful. Is there anywhere really nice or different that I should make an effort to go to as it's my husband's bday? Such as a bar/cocktail place??

Thanks!

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Birmingham advice please?

Depends how lively you want it – and (without asking a lady her age) how old you are? Nuvo is excellent early evening for pre dinner cocktail but I would not go there later as it fills with very loud music and beautiful 20 years olds trying to bag a footballer. After dinner, I (as a 36 year old) would opt for Hotel du Vin or over in The Mailbox, Malmaison or Bar Epernay (champagne and wine list is amazing). Mailbox is only a short walk from your hotel along the canal and through Brindley Place. I forgot to mention Chameleon Bar and Restaurant - which I have been to for lunch and after work drinks and it is a very nice place. I have not been there at the weekend when they have live music etc. It is a very nice bar anyway so may be worth stopping by.

Mentioned in this post
The Mailbox
The Mailbox
146 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Epernay
Epernay
Marne, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Birmingham advice please?

Hi Brum74,

I'm 29 if that gives you a better idea ;-)

Thanks again!

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Birmingham advice please?

Loopy - I think the places I have suggested are still all good – if you like loud and lively then Nuvo will fit the bill – their cocktails are fantastic and it’s right opposite your hotel – read this – birminghammail.net/lifestyle/food-and-drink/…

Bank is always good - classic cocktails and good ambience.

Bar Epernay – real mixed age group - it’s a wine bar with piano rather than DJ etc.

The Vaults is really good for 20s-30s age group and open until 4am.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Epernay
Epernay
Marne, France
The Vaults
The Vaults
327 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Birmingham advice please?

Thanks Brum74 for all your help, I will definietly check out a number of the places you have mentioned - I'm sure we'll have a great time :-)

9. Re: Weekend in Birmingham advice please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 09:20