We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home of Metal Exhibition and Rock Pubs!

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Home of Metal Exhibition and Rock Pubs!

I'm interested in making the short trip from Nottingham to Brum to visit the Home of Metal exhibition as Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery as I am a metal/rock fan.

Despite having strong family connections in the Birmingham, my knowledge of the city is quite bad. Is the museum far to walk from New Street?

Also, are there many decent rock/metal pubs in or around the city centre?

Thanks,

Brez \m/

Lol!

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home of Metal Exhibition and Rock Pubs!

Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is in Chamberlain Square - at the top of New Street about 5 minutes walk from the station. Scruffy Murphy's (10-15 minutes walk from BMAG) is a rock pub http://www.scruffymurphys.co.uk No doubt there will be others but it's a good starting point.

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home of Metal Exhibition and Rock Pubs!

Cheers for the advice Brum!

Brez

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Home of Metal Exhibition and Rock Pubs!

Brez - just read a review in The Sunday Times (they love the exhibition). They note the website for the show and other events, with details of rock venues etc - http://www.homeofmetal.com

Enjoy

Edited: 19 June 2011, 21:09
Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home of Metal Exhibition and Rock Pubs!

Wicked. I've had a look at the website and looks good.

I'll pop down to Brum from Notts to have a look for myself next week.

Cheers,

Brez

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,879 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home of Metal Exhibition and Rock Pubs!

I remember a few years ago after seeing Black Sabbath at the NEC me and a few friends went to Edwards No.8 rock club after the concert.

I just googled it and didn't realise it had burnt down. However, it's found a new home at Busk;

http://www.eddiesrocks.com/

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home of Metal Exhibition and Rock Pubs!

Cool, might make a weekend out of it if there are any decent bands playing!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Home of Metal Exhibition and Rock Pubs!

Both Scruffys and Eddies are great venues for rock music so you wont go wrong with either

I'm a regular Saturday night attendee at Scruffys, where they have either a live band down in the basement and a classic rock DJ on upstairs. The pub is a bit run down but being in the rock fraternity you know what to expect lol, but the atmosphere is usually pretty good with like minded people and not a take that record in sight thank God.

Admissions if usually free of a weekend, where as at Edwards there is an entrance fee

If you need any other info just ask away

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Home of Metal Exhibition and Rock Pubs!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

9. Re: Home of Metal Exhibition and Rock Pubs!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 14:16