We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Tea in Birmingham

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Afternoon Tea in Birmingham

Hi, I saw many websites offering places for afternoon tea in London but not Birmingham.

Can someone recommend a good place for afternoon tea (preferably with champagne) in Birmingham. The place should be within walking distance from train/bus station. Wonderful place is also preferred.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon Tea in Birmingham

There is a lovely tea room in the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (BMAG).

It is the Edwardian Tea Room and it is a lovely setting.

No idea if it does champage, but well worth a visit anyway

www.bmag.org.uk/birmingham-museum/cafe-shop

Brixham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon Tea in Birmingham

Afternoon tea...... with champagne? What HAVE you been reading?

If you walk up the main shopping street, there are many "bistro" type cafes where you can sit inside or outside and take tea and cakes or a sandwich. But if you want the smoked-salmon-and-champagne thing, most of the smarter city centre hotels (try Broad Street) will happily find those things for you.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon Tea in Birmingham

Birmingham does not have the same afternoon tea scene as London so whilst you will find afternoon tea in coffee shops and as suggested, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery etc, it will not be the kind where they have waiter service and champagne.

However, some of the hotels and department stores offer afternoon tea with champagne – try Selfridges, House of Fraser and the (much Smaller) Harvey Nichols. However, I would be more inclined to go to a hotel - nicer ones include the Burlington, Hyatt Regency, Mint, Marriott, Hotel du Vin and Malmaison.

You may be staying in the city centre but only 3 miles away in the suburb of Moseley (about £7in a taxi) . There is a lovely independent restaurant, Carter’s of Moseley which offers afternoon tea with champagne and special cakes etc but they only offer it on 4th Saturday of each month. The owners of the restaurant are a young couple and service is excellent. It’s not a hotel so it’s not the kind of grand place with big comfy sofas etc but it is a nice place to linger for a couple of hours. They time the afternoon tea to coincide with the local farmers’ market which is also worth a look. The web link is here cartersofmoseley.co.uk/menu/afternoon-tea-me…

Malaysia
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon Tea in Birmingham

HI All,

Thanks for all your replies, especially information from Brum74 has been very useful. Unfortunately, i will not be there during the 4th saturday of the month. I will be in Birminghan for 4 days only, might try those afternoon tea in Selfridges.

Thanks again!

5. Re: Afternoon Tea in Birmingham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 05:17