We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

Hi Everyone

Looking for info on the new Travelodge on Carrs Lane which is due to open in a month's time please. Is it a "new" hotel or is it something else rebranded? Will it have a cafe? Not really clear on TL's website. Also can anyone tell us if there's cheap (and relatively safe) overnight parking nearby please. Looking to arrive approx 3pm one day, park the car, and leave it till maybe 5pm the next day.

Thanks for your help!

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

It is a brand new hotel, built on a previously empty site here (hope the link works)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=digbeth&hl=en&ll=52.479877,-1.893581&spn=0.00064,0.0014&hnear=Digbeth,+Birmingham,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=6

Edited: 28 October 2011, 20:15
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

Link did not work, but you can copy and paste it into your browser.

I have seen the hotel being built but no idea if it has a cafe.

It is right in the centre of the Birmingham shopping area but I dont think there is room for parking at the actual hotel.

There must be parking nearby, but as I rarely drive up to Birmingham not sure if there is a safe car park nearby.

The Albert St car park is nearby, but to be honest this is a rather awful car park which may be OK during the day but not sure about at night (the whole building is due to be knocked down soon).

It is here (the map shows other car park sites nearby)

…parkopedia.co.uk/parking/…

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

Another new travelodge opened a few months ago, called the Birmingham Central Bull Ring

…travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/…

This was another "new build" and may be an alternative to the Carrs Lane one.

Not sure if there is a special reason why you want to stay in the Carrs Lane hotel, but the Central Bull Ring hotel is well placed and near the BullRing shopping centre, the Arcadian area (bars, restaurants) and the Hippodrome theatre.

The two holels are less than half a mile from each other (walking).

I have to say that both hotels may be a little difficult to get to if you are driving to them and dont know the area (there are one way systems). Make sure you print off a detailed map of the whole area before trying to get to either hotel.

Let me know if you want more help.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

One extra thing, here is the parking for the Central Bull Ring Hotel.

…parkopedia.co.uk/parking/…

The hotel web site suggests parking number 1 (Pershore Lane) but number 3 (The Arcadian) is the one I use when I go to the Hippodrome theatre. This is fairly new, well lit, and fairly secure.

It is also near the hotel.

I have to say if I was chosing whether to stay at one or other of the hotels I would chose the Central Bull Ring if only for the fact there is more parking round there (both the Arcadian and Hippodrome have lots of people who want to park and this car park is nearby) and the place is livlier in the evening (and hence safer).

The Arcadian car park is certainly nicer than the Albert St car park I mentioned above for the Carrs Lane hotel.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

Hi Guilbert

Thank you so much for your advice. We've settled on the hotel at Carr's Lane as we figure there will be less chance of noisy revellers or early morning market traders waking us up - we like to revel but we like to sleep too! Also we figure the newer the hotel the less chance of damage to fixtures and fittings. However, we will definitely park down further down and walk or bus back to the hotel- the Arcadian car park looks a bargain and much better than Albert St. Thank you very much for pointing us to parkopedia - a very helpful site! I agree that driving in the city centre will be challenging, I'll probably get an A-Z of Birmingham as back up to the sat nav. Once again thanks for your help. I'll be sure to put a review of the new Travelodge on Tripadvisor when I'm home.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

The Travelodge chain catering options are usually very poor or non existant; instead they rely on folks eating at local venues. There are plenty of them around the city centre. From previous encounters I would advise against the pre-packed breakfast, very expensive and not much in it. You would do better having a breakfast out.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

Can anyone tell me when Moor street travelodge opens I have a booking for this weekend.Yet the sight says it is not opening until 28th November .

Edited: 24 November 2011, 07:04
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

We probably dont know more than you.

Phone therm.

London, England...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

I also have a booking at the Moor street TL but for the 29th...apparently it should be open by the weekend but can anyone confirm this?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street (Carrs Lane)?

Can anyone tell me when Moor street travelodge opens I have a booking for this weekend.Yet the sight says it is not opening until 28th November .

Edited: 24 November 2011, 10:44