We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What a lovely friendly city!

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
What a lovely friendly city!

I don't know where to write a review of a city but if fellow travellers want advice about cities to visit then I can recommend Brum! I hadn't been there for years but have just come back and can't speak highly enough of the welcome and friendliness of this city. Everyone, without exception, from hotel staff to people on the street who noticed our accents and tourist giveaway(holding A-Z of streets) made a real effort to help us and engage in conversation. Bus drivers were great, taxi drivers gave their usual invaluable insight into city life and we loved it. Diolch Birmingham, I don't care if this is not the right place to post this but have a very Happy New Year all you Brummies (and adopted ones!) To overseas tourists, put this city on your itinerary!

KB

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,527 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What a lovely friendly city!

Thank you for letting us know you enjoyed Birmingham. It is a lovely city to visit with lots to see and do.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What a lovely friendly city!

I'm so pleased you had a great time and thanks for your kind words about Birmingham. Come back again!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What a lovely friendly city!

Thanks so much for your kind words. Our city gets bad reviews, mainly from ill informed people so it's great to read this from someone who has took the time to actually visit. Hope you come back soon

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What a lovely friendly city!

What a lovely post! Thank you for your kind words and for taking the trouble to come back and comment on your visit. I often wish that posters who ask for advice would come back and let us know how they got on - so few do.

I've lived here all my life and think this is a great city, but I also seem to have spent my life defending it to many from elsewhere, who have probably never set foot here, but are influenced by urban myth and the poor image perpetuated in the media - very unfair and very different from the reality.

So thank you again Kathleen and a Happy New Year to you too!

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What a lovely friendly city!

It seems the New York Times also lists Birmingham as one of its top 20 destinations:

independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/…

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What a lovely friendly city!

jamkart - thanks for the link. I must say, my (expanding) waistline agrees!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What a lovely friendly city!

very excited to be coming to the city next week...never been out of new street station !! not sure what my friend and i will do there yet but sure we will have fun exploring!!

Dubai, Dubai...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What a lovely friendly city!

I want to know if Birmingham is safe place to walk in the streets, I mean what is the crime rate in city for tourist to know before visiting the place?

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,527 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What a lovely friendly city!

Zahid. I always think it's as safe as you make it. If you wander around flashing money then you will attract attention. If you go down a dark alley the likelihood of being followed is greater than a lit up street. It's all really down to common sense. Thousands of people visit Birmingham and return time and time again. It is no worse than anywhere else.

I assume you are from Dubai which is my very favourite place in the world. Wonderful.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What a lovely friendly city!

Official figures show that Birmingham is one of the safest UK cities but as Daisy rightly said, us your own common sense and you will be fine. Come and enjoy our great city.