We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birmingham Airport Parking

Tewkesbury, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Topic
Birmingham Airport Parking

Hello all

Mrs Wife is off on a weeks holiday in May. I need to be able to park for 1 hr when I drop her off and 1 hr when I collect her. I've seen the crazy parking charge of £1 for 15 mins drop off, however is there a sensible option for 1 hr parking ?

Thanks

Stu

50 replies to this topic
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birmingham Airport Parking

Your only option looks to be the short stay car park. Not sure how much that would be. The Long Stay 1 car park gives you 15 minutes free but if you need an hour that isn't much use.

Don't be tempted to park on the road or even drop your wife off on the road. If caught, and that could be by camera, it will be expensive

Tewkesbury, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Birmingham Airport Parking

Thanks for the reply.

I've put in a 1 hr stay in the NCP Birmingham Airport car park booking website and its coming back with £19.49.

Wish I'd known this before because I'd have booked her a flight from Bristol Airport. Birmingham Airport deserves to go out of business for taking the pi** out of customers in this way.

Guess she'll just have to learn to open the door and roll out on the road, SAS style :-)

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birmingham Airport Parking

Good to see you've retained a sense of humour. Maybe have the "roll out" filmed and make a profit!

The £19.49 fee will be the minimum charge and probably the same for a stay of a few days. The short stay would be cheaper. If using the Long Stay then drop her by a bus stop and she can use the free shuttle bus to the terminal. But make sure you exit the car park in under 15 minutes. Or as you first noted a £1 fee for a short drop off period by the terminal. Birmingham are not the only ones who have introduced these charges, unfortunately.

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
18,135 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birmingham Airport Parking

Is there a reason why you need an hour to drop off and the same to collect? If my son drops us off he does so in the 15 minute drop off car park and then we normally switch our mobiles on immediately upon landing and text him to collect us and by that time he's drove the 30 minutes to collect us again in the 15 minute car park.

I see that you are from Tewkesbury so further than us, but would it not be possible to just drop off quickly and then wait somewhere within 20-30 minutes drive of the airport until Mrs Wife can text you to say the plane has landed?

Just thinking of saving you some money because as said Birmingham airport is dreadful regarding parking costs.

Mentioned in this post
Tewkesbury
Tewkesbury
Cotswolds, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birmingham Airport Parking

I will be going to my city,s airport on Friday 24th August at 23:50 hours to pick up my wife and daughter, I am a little apprehensive of the rumours that I here about the highway robbers masking as NCP on the charges of parking my car for about 15 minutes. Obviously I am governed by factors I cannot control ie flight times customs clearance, baggage handlers but do this company and the airport authorities care about the customer and I would think the answer is NO.

I could be considered narrow minded to suggest that the terrorism threat was a blessing in disguise for blatent profiteering, but again we all know when money is involved standards and customer care go out of the window.

I will add a further review on my findings of my experiance but I dont hold my breath.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
18,135 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birmingham Airport Parking

That's the price and unfortunately it's not open to negotiation. There's not much difference between one airport and another so basically we all have 2 choices.....take it or leave it. Bit of a strange post if you ask me.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birmingham Airport Parking

Why not park off airport and then when you get the call that they have cleared customs drive down to the pick-up area. Aternatively check that you still get the first hour free in the long stay and wait there but make sure you are out before "time up". But don't park on the airport roads as that could get you a fine through the post

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birmingham Airport Parking

An update to my experiancies at the airport when picking up my wife on the 22nd August from the airport. I arrived at the airport and parked at the drop off zone which is about the closest point to the arrivals area. (t was raining heavely) I took a ticket from the machine at 12:04 hours noticing I had 10 minutes for a pound and the next 10 minutes would be an extra pound. I had recevied a call from my daughter that they were collecting the baggage. I ran from the car park which was about 20% full over to the arrivals, eventually found my family grabbed the bags and moved back to the car, packed the bags into the car went to the machine which was displaying 12:14 I was then asked to pay 2 pounds, although I had only been there 10 minutes. This I did under verbal protest to myself as it was raining and I wanted to get home a.s.a.p.

So now we have it, 10 minutes is a ludicrus time to do anythink in and why should Joe Soap public have to pay for just the privilage of either picking up or dropping of anyone for such a short time is beyond belief. And before anyone says it is a drop off zone which the sign does state. This must be the most expensive piece of real estate in the country NCP must be making a fortune. I will in future be looking at alternative airports in the future.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birmingham Airport Parking

I only live down the road from the airport and go there every so often to eat at the Frankie & Bennys :)

You can park in the multi-storey car parks for £6 per hour.

Solihull, England...
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birmingham Airport Parking

Why not park at Birminham International Railway station and use the monorail (free) which takes 90seconds to get to the airport, there is a 20 min drop and go and also free on road parking for a few cars with no restrictions, the car park is also a lot cheaper than NCP and the police do not bother anyone (even when they are parked on double yellows), I know as I am there for 8 hours every day, the airport is a rip off for both parking and trollies and all in the name of security (profit more like, I have seen them empty the ticket machines and it is thousand each day !) Birmingham airport passenger charges are a disgrace, I meet hundreds of passengers every week and the vast majority think it is an awful airport and givern the choice would not use it

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Reply to: Birmingham Airport Parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham