We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

We are coming up for a 2 night break and paid less then £25 a night at the Ramada Encore at NEC. We will want to get a train from Birmingham Intl Train Station into Birmingham on the Saturday, how far is the walk from this hotel to the station? I have read conflicting comments 5mins-15mins.

On the Sunday we are going to a gig in Kings Heath by car, is this an easy drive?

I appreciate the hotel is well out from the centre but it is only the Saturday we will need to go to the city centre itself. As it is FA Cup final day, any ideas on which pub to watch the game on or around Broad Street?

Thanks for your help!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

Here's a relatively easy route to follow to get to Kings Heath:

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp#fromNode=18260036043417|N.E.C.%20%28Birmingham%29,%20Solihull|STREET|419702|283134|toNode=18260036957870|King%27s%20Heath,%20West%20Midlands|STREET|407903|281144

Edited: 16 April 2012, 01:27
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

Well that didn't work did it. lol

Use the AA route planner and put in NEC in the top box and Kings Heath in the bottom box and it will give you the route that I was trying to show you. Not sure where your gig is in Kings Heath (I'll guess at the Hare & Hounds) but it might be better again to put this in the lower box, if you know the name of the road)

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

I have had a look on Google maps and the hotel seems to be off Bickenhill Lane, just North of the train station.

The hotel is actually just outside the NEC complex, though near the railway station.

You come out the hotel, turn left down Bickenhill Lane, walk over the road bridge that goes over the railways lines, then just after the railway lines you take a left turn (not sure if it is a small road or just a footpath) and walk to the station.

If you go into Google Maps and search for "Ramada Encore NEC" it will pinpoint it on the map, then you can see where the hotel is and the train station.

Google maps says it is about 0.6 of a mile and takes 12 minutes to walk.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

I think there will be a few bars along Broad St showing the FA Cup final. There will also be bars at the "back" of the Mailbox showng it as well.

On Broad St there is a bar opposite the Brasshouse (cant remember the name of the bar) that has a load of TVs all round the place.

Google Street view also shows a "Sports Cafe" further down the road, but no idea if it is still there (Google maps image is from 2010).

Next to that is a Weatherspoons called "The Figure of Eight" which also has TVs.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

Thanks KON

So basically M42 & then A34 and A4040 to High Street in Kings Heath. You guessed correctly, it is the Hare & Hounds. Interested to hear views on this venue although as I have paid just £7 to see one of the best live bands on the planet in We Are Augustines I don't really mind!

Thanks Guilbert

Those walking directions are really helpful. I know it was walkable from reading reviews so it kind of made our minds up for us to stay there as I think it is only 10-15mins in on the train from there to the city centre. As I mentioned, we would normally stay central but trying to keep costs down so a hotel for under £25 a night on a good train link makes sense to me. I think the Travelodge's (far more basic as well) were kicking around £60 on the Saturday night alone.

I see the Sports Cafe has closed in Birmingham but I'm sure I won't have a problem finding pubs showing the FA Cup final. We have had a number of decent nights out over the years in Birmingham itself but I think the last was around 2007, so a few years back now.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

@ju123

I've been to the Hare & Hounds and it's a very nice 'trendy' (in a nice way) pub. There's always been a good atmosphere in there when I have been in. However I have not seen a band play there but do know they have got a good reputation as a band venue.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

It looks pretty nice a pub from the outside on Google Street View. It will be the bank holiday Sunday, 3 weeks yesterday, how is parking around that area? If we were central in Birmingham we were going to use public transportation so we could have a few drinks but probably going to drive now.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

You'll have no great problem parking around there on a Sunday. If you drive down York Road which is just off the High St then you should get parking there. The pub is on the corner of York Road and the High St.

It's a fairly easy route to take the bus there from the NEC but it would probably be a little time consuming with all the stops. The route I'd take would be different to that of the car shown on the AA route planner. Basically you need to get a bus (can't recall what numbers. Hopefully others can chip in here) direct from the NEC to the Swan at Yardley. Then the No 11 bus takes you all the way to Kings Heath from there. That way you could have a drink. Will leave it with you.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

Sounds like the bus might be a bit of a mission so will probably stick to the car but thanks for the in depth responses, it's helped my planning no end. Really looking forward to the visit, always had a good time in Birmingham...

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ramada Encore NEC/Birmingham International

Back today after a great weekend in Birmingham. The walk to Birmingham International Train Station actually takes 5mins through an industrial area from the Ramada Encore NEC, it is signposted but not completely clear so if anybody reading this has the same query, just ask the staff.

The gig was excellent. We got the train into Birmingham to watch the football and a 35 bus out and 50 back to Kings Heath. Unfortunately we just missed the last train back so had to ring a cab, cost £16.

All in all a great weekend.