We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus help please!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Bus help please!

I think i have it worked out but would like confirmation from someone who knows.

To get from Birmingham New Street Station to the Menzies Strathallan Hotel on Hagley Road, am i right in saying i need to get either of these buses...

9, 120, 126, 127, 128, 140 or 141?

Do they actually go from the station or do i need to walk somewhere to pick them up? How much is a day ticket on the bus?

Thanks in advance, i'm struggling for some reason to work it out! Probably because i have never been to Birmingham before :)

While i am here too, is it easy to walk to the National Sea Life Centre from the town centre?

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus help please!

Sea Life Centre is very easy 15 minute walk - Follow signs for Brindley Place - straight up New Street, through Paradise Forum and through ICC.

As you have identified, there are lots of buses that go to Hagley Road. most of those buses leave from Colmore Row in city centre- again, just follow signs for St Philip's Cathedral.

Daysaver bus ticket is £3.60.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus help please!

perfect, many thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus help please!

When you come off the train walk across the concourse of the station and go up the escalators. At the top turn right, and go down the ramp, at the bottom of the ramp cross the street and keep walking up the hill. This is Corporation streets. One of the bus stops ouside of JJB Sports is the one for 120, 127 and 128. The current daysaver fare is £3.80, but for an extra 20p (£4.00) you can get an Nbus day ticket which you can use on any of the buses. (There are independant buses on the 120 or 128.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus help please!

You may be able to get a plusbus option add on to the train ticket which if it goes out far enough may be cheaper still. Just check http://www.plusbus.co.uk to see if it's available and goes out as far as you need. There is also a local train which goes to the north and south of the city but that's from New Street so don't know if that would help. It may be classed as a Metro service but is in fact a normal train not like london underground.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus help please!

No I am sure that the Longbridge-Sutton train is classed as rail. The Metro referred to runs from Birmingham to Wolverhampton.

An alternative to the plusbus option is either a daysaver ticket priced at £3.80 (TWM Buses only). Or an Nbus day ticket at £4.0 (which allows you to travel on any bus). Both are available on the bus.

If you choose to go the hotel by bus instead continue up the hill at the bottom of the station ramp, on the right hand side of the road at stop CG the 120, 127 and 128 all go down Broad Street.

6. Re: Bus help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 07:40