We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City centre - hotels and attractions

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Topic
City centre - hotels and attractions

We'll be in Birmingham next month to go to a gig at the Town Hall, and are making a mini-break out of it, stopping for three nights. I've done a bit of research, and am thinking of the Premier Inn or Wetherspoons' Briar Rose as hotels - decent price and handy for both the Town Hall and New Street Station.

Also, I know there are things to keep us busy - the Staffordshire Hoard, the Planetarium, the canal.

But does anyone else have recommendations for hotels, attractions and places to eat? (Guilbert53, if you're here, I've already noted the useful city centre walks you supplied in April - ta!)

Another thing. I worked for a short time in the Midlands many, many years ago - so long ago that it was before the current boom in micro-breweries. But I was beguiled even then by the lovely beers of the area. Happy memories of Doris Pardoe's Old Swan Ale, and others! In what hostelries would I be able to reassure myself that the craft is still in rude health?

John

Edited: 27 May 2012, 20:45
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City centre - hotels and attractions

If you have looked at some of the previous appends you may have seen this area mentioned, but the Jewellery Quarter is worth a visit.

It is just North of the city centre (but still very close and a 10 or 15 minute walk).

It has many jewellery shops (as you would imagine) but also quite a few small bars and restaurants.

It also has St Pauls square, the last surviving Georgian square in Birmingham (with a nice church in the centre of the square- which is usually open)

Web site here

http://www.jewelleryquarter.net/

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City centre - hotels and attractions

There are a few "budget" Travelodge hotels.

There is a brand new hotel called Travelodge Birmingham Central - Moor St (only been open a couple of months).

This is very near New St station, also the BullRing, and not much of a walk to Town Hall (10 minutes)

travelodge.co.uk/hotels/531/Birmingham-Centr…

The Travelodge Birminham Central BullRing is also near New St, but slightly further away from Town Hall (but not that much to be honest)

travelodge.co.uk/hotels/503/Birmingham-Centr…

There are a couple of other Travelodge hotels in the city centre but they are further away from New St.

The Travelodge Birmingham Central Newhall St is near the Town Hall but further from New St (but near the Jewellery Quarter)

travelodge.co.uk/hotels/379/Birmingham-Centr…

Edited: 28 May 2012, 10:51
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City centre - hotels and attractions

Regarding the Briar Rose, to be honest I had never heard of it (living near Birmingham I never have to use a Birmingham hotel).

This looks a great spot to stay for you, right near the Town Hall, and fairly near New St station. In fact if you come out the "rear" entrance of New St station it is a short walk to the hotel.

Note most people come out the "front" of New St station but there is a smaller "rear" exit called I think the Navigration St exit. Come out that and it is a short walk to the Briar Rose.

The hotel is also in a nice area (it is the business district but does have some wonderful old buildings in the area - all built during Birmingham's prosperous Victorian period). Many of these old buildings are now bars and restaurants.

The hotel is also near the cathedral, the Bull Ring, the Jewellery Quarter and the Convention Centre area.

In fact it is pretty central for everything.

p.s. They are doing a major upgrade to New St station so it is a bit of a mess at the moment.

Edited: 28 May 2012, 11:03
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City centre - hotels and attractions

I am not a beer drinker so cant help you there, but I guess if you went on the CAMRA site they may list some local pubs there selling real ale.

The only one I know of is the Old Contemptibles, 176 Edmund St, which is very near Snow Hill station (and fairly near the Briar Rose).

nicholsonspubs.co.uk/theoldcontemptiblesedmu…

Another great pub to visit (which is just round the corner from the Briar Rose and opposite the cathedral) is the Old Joint Stock.

This was originally a bank and is now a combined pub and theatre. The inside of the pub is amazing, almost like a country house.

Not sure of the beers they sell, but worth going in just to see the decor.

www.oldjointstocktheatre.co.uk/rte.asp?id=10

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City centre - hotels and attractions

Note they also do open top bus tours on a Saturday and Sunday round the city centre and outlying areas.

Buses meet in the city centre (very near the town hall and the Briar Rose hotel)

They also do some walking tours

More here

www.birmingham-tours.co.uk/bus-tours.html

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City centre - hotels and attractions

Hi,

If you like Ale's definitely check out the Post Office Vaults:

http://www.postofficevaults.co.uk/

Great little pub which is between the Briar Rose and the town Hall (if you do stay at the Briar Rose)

As the person above suggested Travelodges are nice in B'ham except for the old one on Broad Street.

Ive been hearing great things about a newish hotel called The Bloc hotel which is a boutique hotel and apparently is cheap too!

http://www.blochotels.com/

Ive walked past it lots of times and it is very close to St. Pauls Square and the Jewellery Quarter which is a lovely area to walk around in the sunshine or stop of for a beer or two. Its also close to the summer row area and a pub called the shakespeare which I think might sell ale but this hotel is not as close to the Bullring and the city centre as The Briar Rose, saying that if you like walking then it wont be a problem.

To get fantastic views of the city visit The Cube (behind the Mailbox) and head to the rooftop bar on the 25th floor :)

There is also a new hotel in The Cube which might have offers on its called Hotel Indigo: http://www.hotelindigobirmingham.co.uk/

Probably a bit pricier but worth checking as its a short walk from the back entrance of New Street over to the Mailbox district.

If you like chocolate than a trip to Cadbury World might need to be added to your 'to do' list :)

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City centre - hotels and attractions

The Briar Rose is well located and good value.

Dealing with the real ale point, the Post Office Vaults has already been mentioned. It is owned by the same people that run the much longer established ‘The Wellington’ which is a bigger version and also located on Bennett’s Hill (about 30 meters from Briar Rose).

If in Jewellery Quarter (and I recommend you do visit) try http://www.thelordclifden.com which is an excellent pub as is http://www.therosevillatavern.co.uk/whats-on

There are many things to do as already mentioned and there may be local events going on when you get here. Check out What’s On and Birmingham City Council’s leisure section of website for listings for the time you are here.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: City centre - hotels and attractions

Thanks, all. Some top suggestions there. I think I was leaning towards the Briar Rose anyway, and you might have just nudged me into it!

I'll try to remember to revive this thread after we get back, and let you know how we got on.

John

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: City centre - hotels and attractions

I don’t know if this is the on the CAMRA books but you can try this pub for your ale.

http://www.theoldcrown.com/index.html.

It’s the oldest pub in Birmingham and it says it serves traditional ale. This pub is very central and very close to the Briar Rose.

hotels.tv/birmingham-hotels/…

Hope this helps

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: City centre - hotels and attractions

I have not stayed or drank at the Briar Rose so can't really comment on it much. But I have had an overnight stop at a pub before the main problem is that you can't really get to sleep before the clientel leave (which can be fairly late or early depending on your viewpoint).

As far as the indie brews go The Briar Rose is a Weatherspoons pub and they always carry guest beers.

I remember picking up a leaflet about a pub crawl associated to the Metro tram which runs between Birmingham and Wolverhampton. I am not sure who would have produced it but a copy may be on the web somewhere.

If you have a look at the CAMRA website camra.org.uk they have a forum on there who may be able to give you details about Ma Pardoes and others.

Get answers to your questions about Birmingham