We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Voyage

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
The Voyage

I have been watching the set up of this major event festival.london2012.com/events/9000961332 over last few days. Looks like it will be amazing – 21st-24th June at 10pm, Victoria Square. It’s free and promises to be pretty impressive. Enjoy!

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Voyage

Looks interesting, pity it does not start till 10 o'clock at night.

The write up says "fine for all the family" and then says the only showings are at 10pm..

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Voyage

Gilbert53 - the labeling of it as ‘fine for families’ is to suggest it is not adult themed. It does not suggest that the event is aimed at the Cbeebies age group. 10pm may seem late (which I agree on school night it is) but it is also being shown on Friday and Saturday. With a light show and projected images onto the buildings – it simply cannot happen until it is dark. On 21st June i.e. the longest day of the year – that means it will not get dark until late.

I seem to recall watching families at the recent jubilee concert and fireworks display which finished well after 10pm. Didn’t seem to be too much of a problem in London.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Voyage

Brum 74: What you are forgetting though is that in London there is probably a public transport system. With a 10pm start I would guess theshow will end at around midnight. Just after most of the last bus services have left town. Also why have it on the evening of the longest day? Not very well planned in my opinion.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Voyage

The show last about 45 minutes. Buses should still be running.

It is being held now, as it is part of London 2012 festival i.e. the cultural Olympiad. It is all part of the build up to the Olympics. I suspect holding it in November might not fit in with the Olympics.

Lofty17 - I agree – the timing is not going to suit everyone but it will suit many. There are lots of events happening but this is one that I have seen being built up in Victoria Square for last few days and it looks very interesting. I simply put it on here for information to residents of and visitors to the city. Visitors (not to mention the thousands of people who live in the city centre) may not even know it’s happening yet will be staying in city centre hotels just a short walk from Victoria Square.

Anyway, perhaps it’s of interest to some. You never know – it might even be fun!

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Voyage

Brum74, thanks for the pointer in the first place, I had no idea it was on till I saw your update here.

>>>>>Visitors (not to mention the thousands of people who live in the city centre) may not even know it’s happening

They featured it on BBC Midlands Today last night (Wedneday) and asked people who were walking through Victoria Square what they thought it was all about and none of them had any idea.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Voyage

Guilbert53 - I'm going to see it tonight - so I will let you all know if it's worth seeing. Fingers crossed it stays dry or the performers will be slipping overboard!

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Voyage

It was cancelled due to the rain. Hopefully it will stop raining long enough to enable the show to go on tomorrow night.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Voyage

Thanks for the heads up, if as you say it is only 45 minutes long I would go along but already have things planned.

I was not criticising the idea it is a good one, and realise that the summer is the best time for this kind of thing. It just seems a little crazy to have it on the day with the latest dusk.

I find that one of Birmingham's biggest downfalls is the fact that there seems to be a complete lack of publicity about anything from the Council. If you travel around the Country as I do you quickly notice that there are brochures and leaflets available in motorway service areas and Tourist Info offices from other areas. But nowhere have I ever seen anything from Birmingham. It is even difficult finding out what is on within the City as the TI office carries very little information.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Voyage

I live in Solihull (which officially is not part of Birmingham) but I do go up to Birmingham fairly regularly to take photographs, particularly of the ongoing developments in Eastside.

But often when I get up there I find events going on in Victoria Square or Centenary Square which I know nothing about, and were never advertised in Solihull.

I think think this is partly due to a long running dispute between Birmingham and Solihul, where Birmingham council wanted Solihull to become part of their city, and Solihull refused. So almost a case of "well if you dont want to be part of our city you cant come to our events".

This is a shame because much of Solihull is quite affluent and Birmingham are missing out on people from Solihul coming there and spending their money.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Voyage

I agree, it has been really poorly advertised. Most people only found out about this and the CBSO concerts because of coverage on local news. As I have said previously on this site - Birmingham has bags of cultural stuff going on all year but you have to search for it. Most people do not search. Residents and visitors to the city need more information.

Get answers to your questions about Birmingham