We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
716 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Pubs

Probably a bit short notice but here goes anyway!

I will be heading down to see Everton play West Brom with a couple of mates tomorrow and we will be having a few drinks in Birmingham city centre before and after the match.

We were just looking for decent pub suggestions. We're only a small group and are not a rowdy bunch - we keep any vocal support to when we're at the match! Ideally we're looking for places with a bit of character and/or a good selection of real ales or distinctive lagers, anything a bit quirky or off-the-wall would be welcome.

Have read a few suggestions around the Jewellery Quarter (e.g. Lord Clifden, Rose Villa) which I had heard used to be a bit of a rough area(?) but times may have changed and not sure how accurate that is/was. It would bring us a bit closer to West Brom so that might make sense. Would there be any suggestions for places between there and New Street?

All advice welcome. Cheers.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs

The Lord Clifden, Rose Villa Tavern, The Drop Forge, The Red Lion etc are all in Hockley/Jewellery Quarter. The area is buzzing with art galleries, restaurants and nice pubs - not rough at all. I would definitely recommend you go there

Near New Street – try The Wellington on Bennetts Hill or its sister pub ‘The Post Office Vaults’ on New Street. Both have websites and are real ale pubs. More grand in scale and a little more expensive is The Old Joint Stock. These three pubs are all very close to each other and 5 minutes walk to New Street Station.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs

Probably a bit late as you are probably on your way already by now but.......

The Wellington has good real ales and a great atmosphere and as well as being close to New Street is close to Snow Hill Station, where you can catch a metro straight to the ground.

Hubby catches a train into Brum especially to go there before the matches most times.

BOING BOING

Edited: 01 September 2012, 10:30
Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs

Just to add, metro goes to 'The Hawthorns' Station on Halfords lane & just a couple of minutes walk to ground.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
716 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pubs

Thanks for the advice and needless to say we didn't get chance to get to all of them, despite best intentions! Had a very good day apart from the result obviously!

I have made a note of the pubs we didn't get to visit and will check them out next time I'm down in Brum.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pubs

pleased you enjoyed it Dave.

6. Re: Pubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2013, 10:15