We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

We are booked to stay here for one night to attend a concert next March.

Since we're coming for the US and concert tkts may not arrive in time, we're contemplating getting them routed to the hotel. The problem is, I tried several times to email them for rate info and it took a 4th email to get a reply. And then again a question went unanswered. This tells me their care and attention to detail may be lacking.

Yesterday, I called the hotel to check rates and get a name of a manager who'd sign for our tickets when they are delivered. The person who picked up the phone took a long time to come back with a name despite me asking to speak with a manager directly.

Should I be worried? The tickets were alot of money and I can just see them "misplacing" our tickets.

Does anyone have insight on service or reliability of personnel at this hotel?

Thank you!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

Would it not be safer to collect them from the ticket office on the day? I have not had much to do with the NEC or it's subsidiaries, but that seems to be offered by a large range of other venues.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

Hi Lofty17,

Thank you for your reply.

The choice to pick up at the venue would have been my first choice but it wasn't offered as we didn't buy it from the LG Arena people or Ticketmaster. We bought the tkts from Seatwave. Hideously expensive so I want to be sure.

Thanks for your input.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

I’m not sure of the reason why the tickets can't be sent to your home address, but I would certainly not go down the route of asking the hotel to look after them for you. You go down that route and the chances of the hotel losing them are very high. The hotel is a very busy hotel right next to the airport so there will be many different staff working different shifts so asking to look after 2 tickets is a high risk strategy. I would seriously consider another option

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

Hi Ronnie,

It was only after we hit purchase that we were informed that tickets may be delivered a week to a few days before the performance. We live in the States and with international UPS delivery, that could very well mean we won't get the tickets in time.

We are indeed racking our brains to think of where we can send them to. We'll be landing at Heathrow and driving to Birmingham for the concert that night. There are 4 of us attending.

I do concur with you about the busy airport hotel with staff working different shifts and our tickets getting lost. We've thought long and hard about this. If there was another option, we'd love love love to hear about it! Help, anyone!

Thanks,

B

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

The only mail-holding service I can find is expensive £69 and the mimum lease is 3 months.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

Thanks, Lofty.

Problem solved! A dear and kind friend, who lives some distance away, has insisted on accepting receipt of our tickets and driving them to us.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

Glad you solved the problem.

I stayed here a month ago for one night before flying and I have to say they are quite impressive- I half considered staying there for the holiday! The only thing I could fault if I tried is that the alarm call was a few minutes late.

As Ronnie says this is a busy hotel and they are geared up for dealing effectively with guests who (like you) only stay for one night or so. They might well encounter 1,000+ different guests in a week. I think expecting this level of personal service (holding tickets and accepting responsibilty for them) is asking too much, especially when it's 5 months away. If you were in a top 5 star place, different.

The food is fine but not gourmet and fairly priced. Beds very comfortable.

You'll be at home as they have ice machines; this is very rare in UK.

When your good friend arrives, if they stay longer than (I think) 15 mins in the car park, reception need to validate the ticket on payment of a modest charge.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

Hi AchesonTopeka,

Thank you so much for your post and the helpful info.. I was a little disappointed with the phone call that I considered switching to the more expensive Hilton. But your opinion has swayed ours. Thank you. We will stay put then.

Happy trails!

B

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

Hi B,

I'm not sure you know but Seatwave are a 'reseller', it seems. They are an agency who buy in 'hot' tickets (at a premium no doubt) and remarket them (at an even greater premium- hence your 'hideously expensive' comment.

Clients appear generally satisfied as the tickets do arrive but worryingly close to the performance, so your friend's offer may be very valuable.

Again, i'm guessing but I'd say Seatwave may not have these seats reserved at all and are just assuming they can buy on the open market nearer the time, showing a profit (they hope).

Sorry if this worries you but this gig is obviously of considerable importance to you and you do not wish to be disappointed.

I'm afraid this sector does tend to attract the disreputable element of business; the payment up front being a major factor. An agency in my home city went bust a few years ago- essentially, the owners had taken the money to fund a lifestyle the business couldn't sustain.

I'm not sure what I can offer to reassure you except to repeat that there appears to be many satisfied (if considerably poorer) clientsof Seatwave.

I really hope the trip to our shores goes well.

ATSF.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Insight on service at Crowne Plaza NEC? Reliable?

Hi ATSF,

Good golly! Thank you for that insight. I scoured the Internet and couldn't get a real sense of what Seatwave was abt.. They did have their fair share of complaints but they were slightly less than the others. So I did take a chance buying these tkts -- Blk A at the LG Arena but seats unknown. After your explanation of things I know why. So I should not panic yet???!!! Thank goodness for my friend then!! We'd miss the delivery for sure since the reviews say they cut it very close.

Thank you sooooo much for your insight and information. I'm so very grateful.