We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Centres

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping Centres

Hi,

Can you recommend some good shopping centres in Birmingham for christmas shopping? I have done a Google search but I think local knowledge is best, don't want to want to end up somewhere like the Fiveways shopping area again!

Really looking forward to the Christmas market (our excuse to return to Birmingham!).

Also, how would you suggest getting to them? We are staying in Broad Street, so are there good bus links or am I best to drive?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,137 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping Centres

http://www.bullring.co.uk/

Also check out the jewellery quarter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping Centres

Thanks. I meant as well as the Bullring, sorry forgot to pop that in my post.

Thank you though :-)

I think we will check out the Jewellery Quarter, it sounds quite good.

Edited: 07 November 2012, 09:48
Birmingham...
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping Centres

Merry Hill is brilliant huge and all under one roof best to drive there as the bus takes ages.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping Centres

Out of town shopping centres - try Merry Hill, The Fort, Touchwood (Solihull) or Sutton Coldfield. There are lots of other suburbs with shopping facilities but the above suggestions will keep you busy enough. you can drive to them.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping Centres

Boundary mill by m6 j10. Walsall, so about 20 min from brum. You will get loads there.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
104 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping Centres

I wouldn't bother with Sutton Coldfield unless you have spare time. there's not much here really in the town centre although the Mitchell Arts & Crafts Centre (little way out of main town centre) is quite nice for a wander around. If you do decide to come to Sutton your best mode of transport would be the train on the cross city line - traffic in and out of Birmingham is usually pretty bad this way!

Touchwood in Solihull is really lovely (they have a John Lewis, which Birmingham city centre doesn't have). Bus will take a while but if you didn't want to drive you can take a train from Moor Street station.

Also lots in Merry Hill - I would probably drive if you're going there.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,647 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping Centres

I too would avoid Sutton Coldfield. There's more to see at Ventura Park in Tamworth. I'd also give Boundary Mill a miss. It's a fair distance out of the city centre and is expensive, only one shop unless you're aiming for the small M&S depot.

I would have thought there was enough to keep you occupied in Birmingham City Centre and the Jewellery Quarter.

Do remember that wherever who choose to visit and drive too you will have queues and parking problems close to Xmas.

Edited: 07 November 2012, 20:03
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping Centres

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful :-)

Really looking forward to coming back, and also experiencing the Christmas market too.

Thanks again.

Bridgnorth, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping Centres

Hi Gemsie,

When is your trip?? I'd defo stop in Brum city centre for your shopping. If you visit the Bullring you may as well be in ANY shopping centre in the country, all the shops are exactly the same. Merry Hill, Bluewater, Bull Ring, Arndale and Trafford Centre in Manchester, not much difference in the 'high street' shops netween all of them.

There are a few shopping arcades in and around Brum city centre. If you walk the triangle from outside the pallesades shopping centre, along New Street to the Bullring, up High Street to where it meets Corporation Street then down Corporation Street back to New Street and explore all the little streets in that triangle you will be amazed at what you will find.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=39314241&biw=1280&bih=827&wrapid=tlif135428325103110&q=Birmingham+pallasades&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4870bc895d1bc56f:0x1ad331d650d47ce0,The+Pallasades,+Birmingham,+West+Midlands+B2+4XN&gl=uk&sa=X&ei=O7m4UM2jLtSQ4gSEuoDgDA&ved=0CIMBELYD

Steve

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping Centres

And if you really want to splash the cash try The Mailbox which just a short stroll from broad street