We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hen Do Ideas!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Hen Do Ideas!!

I'm trying to plan a hen do in Brimingham in September for around 20 ladies in their 30's.

We've got the day time plannned but in the evening I'm looking for ideas of which bars to go to.

We preferably want bars that aren't too cheesy and full of kids that play older dance music like MJ, Whitney, old 90's dance music etc....does anywhere like this exist??

Also, we're looking at hotels near to New St station, is this pretty central to the nightlife?

Thanks

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
38 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hen Do Ideas!!

Hi Nainai, Broad St has a few pubs/clubs like that, with flares, pushkar and brass house being the first 3 that come to mind. There is also plenty of hotels along there with everything from the Hyatt and the Marriott to a travelodge, so should find something to suit your budget. It's a bit of a walk from New St, but if my memory is correct, there isn't much round there, and you would have to go over to Hurst St for the Chinatown and gay quarter for bars/clubs that are together, or go a bit further into Digbeth for Irish pubs.

visitbirmingham.com/explore-birmingham/…

Above link might give you a better idea and also lists hotels in the city centre

Birmingham
Level Contributor
132 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hen Do Ideas!!

Broad street is cheesy and not classy. That's probably ok for a hen night though! There are often hen parties out on Broard Street. There are better bars by the canal - Brindly Place and the back of the Mail Box.

There is a new hotel Indigo at the back of the Mailbox in a building called the Cube. It would be a great place to stay but is probably quite expensive. It's 5-10 mins walk from New Street.

New Street is not really a night life area, though there are a few good pubs/bars that have opened up. Only one is actually on New Street. It's called the Post Office Vaults. Also in John Bright Street area there's the Victoria, BrewDog, Island Bar (good cocktails). The Yard Bird is a live music bar that's usually free and might be worth a look.

Birmingham's best bars IMO are in the Jewelry Quater. The Rose Villa Tavern, The Vaults, The Rectory, Stirlings, The Actress and the Bishop. There is also a club called the Jam House which plays music from pretty much every decade since the sixties. There's usually an older crowd in there.

All of the bars/pubs I've suggested are quite classy and might not be busy enough for a hen do. Have a look on their websites first.

l K
england
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hen Do Ideas!!

Broad street should be fun!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hen Do Ideas!!

Thank you, i'll get on line and have a look at these places.

I think we're going to edge more towards the classier places, as we're not into sticky floors and plastic glasses but it's difficult to find places that will accept large groups!

Coventry, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hen Do Ideas!!

If its classier places then that rules out Broad ST. Broad St is lively with lots of bars but typically aimed at the young Stag and Hens. Brindly Place do have some nice bars but its location is too near Broad street.

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
632 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hen Do Ideas!!

Broad st is not classy in any way, shape or form.

Mailbox would be better, or go over to St. Paul's square for the jam house

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
104 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hen Do Ideas!!

I would second checking out The Jamhouse - http://www.thejamhouse.com/birmingham/ but

You will need to book - especially if there is 20 of you.

I've never eaten there but apparently the food is good too.

Crowd tends to be mid 20s upwards and I've always had a good night in there!

Mailbox is lovely too for food and drinks but not really for dancing!

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hen Do Ideas!!

If you decide to stay near New St then The Arcadian on Hurst St has some nice classy bars. A friend went to a hen do at Zorbas greek restaurant in The Arcadian she said the food and entertainment were excellent, you would need to book.

There are lots of hotels in this area Premier Inn, Hotel Latour, Holiday Inn to name a few.

Edited: 24 February 2013, 21:50
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hen Do Ideas!!

I think somebody else has already said most of this but I thought I would add that im 26 and going up Broad Street is definitely not a great idea if you dont want loads of kids and sticky floors around...

The Mailbox is great, there is a ramada hotel and the new hotel indigo, and lots of places to eat and drink. Bar room bar is great for cocktails and music, so is Pennyblacks and the rooftop bar in the cube would be a great experience for the views. All a short walk away from New Street. I live just behind the mailbox and I know that there are apartments to let - have you considered maybe renting an apartment? I forgot what they are called but you will find them on google.

From the Mailbox you can walk down the Canals to Brindley Place which is close to Broad Street but much nicer, there's a Pitcher and Piano & All Bar One there along with other restaurants.

St Pauls Square and Jewellery quarter are also great, check out the Bloc hotel there because I think it could be cheaper than other hotels.

If you guys are here on a Sunday google the Stirlings Bar Sunday lunch! its in St Pauls and its the best hangover cure ever!

It would be worth checking if Chameleon would let a party of 20 in - maybe you can reserve an area? its a very nice bar right by Victoria Square.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hen Do Ideas!!

Excellent, thanks guys. SOunds like we've got plenty to choose from so I'll gett swotting up!!