We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomasland & Warwick Castle - A few questions

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
979 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Thomasland & Warwick Castle - A few questions

With the kids preferring to go to Warwick Castle instead of Stratford-upon-Avon, we've changed our itinerary a bit. We (hubby, me, sons, aged 9,5) will be in Birmingham May 2nd-5th. We'll be going to Thomasland on Friday, May 3rd and Warwick Castle on Saturday, May 4th.

It's a bank holiday weekend and the Castle has reenactments shows on. Chances are it will be very crowded. I don't want to queue for tickets, so I've booked Warwick Castle tickets online... Luckily, the 7-day advance purchase tickets worked out to approximately the same price as using daysout 2-4-1 offers. So feeling okay about it.

But wondering what to do about the Thomasland tickets. If I book online even in advance... I'll be paying GBP 90 for 2 adults and 2 kids. We've decided to go to Tamworth by train. I'm assuming, with our train tickets, we'll be eligible for the daysout 2-4-1 offers. The adult admission price at the gate is GBP 36. We'll pay GBP 72 for 2 adult tickets and the kids will be free. We're going on a Friday morning before a bank holiday weekend. I imagine it won't be too crowded. Or am I misjudging how bad the crowds would be on Friday during term? Also would they let me use the 2-4-1 when its 2 adults, 2 kids or only for 4 adult tickets?

daysoutguide.co.uk/drayton-manor-theme-park

My other question is regarding the the Towers and Ramparts at Warwick Castle. Hoping someone who's visited may be able to answer it. I've read a lot of reviews... I gather its about 530 stairs up and down... and that once you decide to take the tour... there's no backtracking. But I can't judge how long it takes - 30 mins, an hour? If it's a lot longer, maybe the kids won't be up for it. (Just as a reference, they have climbed up the Notre Dame tower in Paris). I'm thinking that heading to the ramparts would be the first thing we do when the gates open at 10... And then we'll meet up with the relatives and friends who will be meeting us at the Castle for a day out.

Thanks for all the help, even with my previous questions.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,650 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomasland & Warwick Castle - A few questions

According to the website you will be eligible for the 2-4-1 tickets if using the rail tickets. I would check which train company is offering this deal as I think it is restricted to just a couple. As far as I can gather it is one adult or child ticket free when purchasing an adult ticket, so you should all get in using this deal. It's a bit of a minefield trying to understand the various deals available and searching out the best one.

Term time is not as busy as non term time but people do take their children out of school for such visits and sometimes schools do visit too, so it's really a guessing matter and the better the weather the heavier the attendance.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
979 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomasland & Warwick Castle - A few questions

Thanks DaisyEngland... I guess it's hard to predict how crowded it will be. Will mull over the decision about online booking or buying on the day with 2-4-1 vouchers... then toss a coin... and see how my luck holds out :)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
979 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomasland & Warwick Castle - A few questions

Oh... and I got an answer to my question about the Warwick Castle tower and ramparts. I emailed the Warwick castle and they said that walking the ramparts usually takes 30-45 minutes.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 19:24
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
575 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomasland & Warwick Castle - A few questions

You can do the ramparts quicker than 30mins, it depends how many times you stop to look at the views and whether there is much in the way of information boards you want to read. They should be no problem for either child (especially if you go earlier in your visit before little legs get tired). Arrive early and the crowds will not have arrived yet! I have been at the castle soon after the 10am opening and it was everso peaceful, and so few people, but also found that a lot of things didn't reallyt get going until 11am. I don't know if it will have changed much in the last 2 years regarding that, but some of the inside parts of the castle didn't open up until 11am, but I did have a fantastic parking spot in the castle car park!!!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
979 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomasland & Warwick Castle - A few questions

Thanks gecko77 :)

Your post is very reassuring. And I'll make sure we head to the ramparts right at the start of our visit.

6. Re: Thomasland & Warwick Castle - A few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 07:16