We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

Hello to all

We are family with 2 girls: 9 and 4 years old

We will be visited Peak District region in August 2013; already have booked an apartment near Ladybower reservoir.

I have doubts about visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living Museum.

Both are worth a visit.

Both are 2 hours from the apartment.

I don’t know which one to choose?

I Would be very grateful if someone could answer this for me :-)

Thank you in advance

Essex
Level Contributor
27,159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

Heads - Blists Hill (and there is TONS of other stuff to see at Ironbridge, too

Tails - Black Country Museum

OK, not really helpful? Well, they are both great, so you will be highly unlikely to be disappointed, whichever you choose!

Why don't you decide based on where the best weather is, on the day you want to go??

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

I really cant see the point of booking a holiday in the Peak District, and then trying to find things to do over 80 miles away.

If you were staying in our around Birmingham then I would say go to both the places you mentioned, but if you are staying that far away I would not do either, as you will spend about 4 hours or more travelling there and back.

There are plenty of things to see and do around where you are staying that dont involve such a long drive.

Crich Tramway Museum is less than 30 miles away and the kids will love it

http://www.tramway.co.uk/

Chatsworth House and Gardens are also nearby

http://www.chatsworth.org/

Malham Cove is pretty amazing, but will involve walking

http://www.malhamdale.org.uk/malham_cove.htm

Gordale Scar is also pretty amazing, but again will invove walking

http://www.malhamdale.com/gordalescar.htm

Matlock is interesting

peakdistrictinformation.com/towns/matlock.php

The Heights of Abraham is also worth visting

http://www.heightsofabraham.com/

Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

Thank you both for your reply

It is a difficult decision and you are absolutely right that both museums are so far from the Peak District. However, both of museums are very fascinating, and although it is pretty obvious that there is no way that we can do whatever England has to offer to her tourist, still we think that that could be a great experience for our girls.

It’s just our first time in England (have been in London) and it seem that there is so much to see and so much to do, and when we have chosen the Peak District to start our UK acquaintanceship we did not know that there will be so much to see.

Thank you for great links.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

Crich Tramway is a good compromise, if you decide the long drives to the other,options are just toooooo much!

Another place that you might enjoy,, the "house lost in time" at Ticknall, not like any other Stately Home visit that you will encounter.....

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/calke-abbey/

Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

Thank you :-)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,082 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

Hi Jenny

The thing is with the Black country museum,there are lots of other things very close by just incase the kids fancy a change half way through the day !!! ( kids ! Iol )

Within 1 mile ,,,

Dudley zoo & castle

Mad o rork pie factory

10 screen cinema

Mc Ds

Pizza hut

Ect

You always need a back up plan with kids ;--

Good luck

Darryl

Ironbridge, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

Gosh what a difficult decision. We run Blists Hill Victorian Town and can say that both Blists Hill and the Black Country Living Museum offer great days out.

If it is of any assistance, Blists Hill Victorian Town is one of the ten Ironbridge Gorge Museums in the Ironbridge Gorge Wold Heritage Site.

You might spend half a day at Blists Hill, (you could spend longer) and then move on to see the worlds first iron bridge followed by Coalbrookdale Museum of Iron, where the Industrial Revolution started in 1709. Finally the children might enjoy a visit to Enginuity our wonderful hands on design and technology centre.

The best ticket to buy is a Passport Ticket that gives admission to all ten museums.

Ironbridge is very pretty riverside town, filled with historic houses and monuments.

I hope that helps.

Whether you visit us or our friends at the Black Country Living Museum, you will have a wonderful day.

Enjoy your time in England.

Kind regards

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

I've not been to Bilsts Hill or Ironbridge both however are on my list of things to do.

I have been to BCLM and its was brilliant, we all loved it there's lots to do and very informative whilst being fun for everyone too, the mine trip was great, as was the boat trip and the traditional fish n chips were lovely, theres also a tilted house and a real olde worlde pub and you also have an old fashioned faitground there too, you can go to Dudley Zoo & Castle for a few hours too as they are right nexf dior. You have a difficult decision ahead -

london
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

I went to Blists Hill earlier this year with my (adult) daughter and we had a brilliant time, there's something for all ages there ... we spent all day at Blists Hill and then the following day went to Enginuity (much more geared to children but thankfully indoors since it was raining), the Iron Bridge and the Museum of Iron ... we bought the passport ticket which was well worth it

can't speak for the Black Country museum ... it's on the list for the future

shame you're staying such a distance away as either of them would make a very memorable visit for your girls ... I took mine to a similar museum (Beamish Open Air Museum) when they about the age of yours, and they remember it well even 20 or so years later

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Blists Hill Victorian Town or Black Country Living

Thank you for coming north and choosing the Peak District as your base. A wonderful area yet not on the usual foreign visitor 'circuit'.

I agree with post 2. - exhaust the possibilities nearer your base first. We have visited Blist Hill which is fascinating but so are many places closer to the Peaks. Have you thought of going into Manchester, for example, to see the Museum of Science and Industry and Castlefields? Or Quarry Bnk Mill and the nearby Styal village or Macclesfield Silk Musem? All will give a glimpse of life in 19 th century industrial England and will be that much closer for you

Whatever you decide,full marks to you for getting off the normal tourist track and have a wonderful stay here.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 08:33