We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

I am travelling to the airport in July and I was wondering if I would be better alighting my train at Coleshill parkway or New street to then transfer to the airport . I see there is a bus ..any ideas how much this costs and which anyone would recommend . Many thanks .

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

You don't say where you are coming from but if you are travelling into New Street you can change trains there to go to Birmingham International. At International, the train station and airport are connected.

Alternatively there are buses from Coleshill - they're about every 15 minutes. Details are here: http://www.coleshillparkway.co.uk/

Edited: 08 June 2013, 14:11
UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

thanks for that .. Im travelling from Leicester ..just wondered if getting off at Coleshill is cheaper /easier than going into New street .

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

Coleshill Parkway is still 7 or 8 miles from the Airport and you still have to wait for the bus.

Birmingham International Train station is right next to the Airport (they are a few hundred yards apart linked by a monorail).

If you can get to Birmingham International Train station life will be a lot easier, it is only 1 stop from New St station.

UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

I think I will travel on to New street , thats what I intended doing before thinking of the Coleshill altenative .Many Thanks :)

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

I don't think it's as clear cut as Gilbert53 claims. New Street is one of the most confusing stations to change at, more so because of the work going on there at present. Whilst Gilbert claims that International is one stop, there are trains which stop at suburban stations. Buses from Coleshill Parkway run half hourly and take about 30 minutes, and go the International station, so unless you just miss the bus, there is little difference in time taken.

UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

I do know New street station ..to change or not to change ??? Many thanks aardvark10

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

To be fair New Street is a bit of a mess at the moment, but I wouldn't say it's massively confusing - the signage is OK, and there are plenty of people to ask about which platform. It's six of one and half-dozen of the other, really.

UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

Thanks Becky :)

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

This really is the most odd thing I've seen on here for a while. I cannot comment on Coleshill Parkway as I have not been there. However, New Street Station may be having some work done but as long as you can count from 1-12 you really won't have any problems. The signs all work, they tell you which platform to go to and you get a train. Pretty much like every railway station I've ever been to. As for number of stops - Virgin trains are the fast ones so Birmingham International is the first stop. Local trains call at local stations. Again, no different to the Heathrow express, Gatwick, etc.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coleshill Parkway to Birmingham International airport

Not sure what's odd about it. What I DO find odd is someone who claims Birmingham New Street is pretty much like every other station. Cross Country Trains for one would disagree, because they recommend changing at simpler stations.

crosscountrytrains.co.uk/tickets-timetables/…

And it's not just Virgin trains which are non stop between New Street and International. I totally fail to see anything odd about pointing out that some trains are not non-stop.