We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

intimate restaurants

Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
intimate restaurants

Hello :)

I have boguht tickets as a surprise for my fiance's 30th birthday for the Good Food Show in November :) He really loves his cooking so sure he will love this treat. As we are staying over night, I want us to go to a lovely restaurant in the evening too. However, I can't afford any Michelin star restaurants ( as i would have liked to!) but I would still love to book a good restaurant (and avoid the chains!). I don't particularly want Indian or anything, more italian, med, or british style food.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thank you :)

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: intimate restaurants

For great quality food – homely rather than fine dining (and all the better for it) - I highly recommend Ju Ju’s.

If the budget will stretch a little higher, The Pickled Piglet is perfect.

Café Opus at the Ikon is a great alternative but not exactly romantic (has a nice casual feel to it). Food is excellent though - it’s the sister restaurant to the very upmarket Opus.

Cielo is a good Italian.

I know you said no chains but they are not all bad and my pick of the bunch are Fumo or Piccolino.

All have their own websites and you can see menus for prices etc.

Mentioned in this post
Ju Ju's Cafe
Ju Ju's Cafe
1,241 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Piccolino
Piccolino
1,257 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: intimate restaurants

If your fella likes steak then this is perfect

www.andersonsbarandgrill.co.uk/

Good food, reasonably priced and lovely intimate atmosphere. Just make sure you book.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: intimate restaurants

The most Romantic restaurant in birmingham has to be annexe. Intimate charm, great food, really special.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: intimate restaurants

I assume the food Show is at the NEC, which is about 5 miles out of Birmingham City Centre.

Are you staying in a hotel near the NEC, or in Birmingham City Centre?

Also is this meal from the evening that you go to the Food Show?

If so remember you will probably be knackered after walking round the food show halls all day (events at the NEC really tire me out).

Also if there are lots of "free tasters" as you walk round you may not feel like a large meal in the evening.

Just a thought.

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
87 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: intimate restaurants

I also recommend Jujus. The place is outstanding and the staff are superb too. I also like Browns on the bullring, again superb food with quality customer service.

Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: intimate restaurants

Thank you all so much for your replies! I will check out all of your suggestions and then make a decision :) Really appreciate it! :) x

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: intimate restaurants

Not sure if you could extend your stay until a Monday, but if you did you could try Glynn Purnell's Bistro Monday Madness offer - amazing value!

purnellsbistro-gingers.com/monday-madness.

Mentioned in this post
Purnell's
Purnell's
1,566 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
8. Re: intimate restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 07:17