We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
what to do

Hi

Ive booked Birmingham for a weekends break at the end of January. Im staying at Premier Inn in New Street Station. Me and my g/f are both 30, can you please give us ideas of;

1. what to do

2. where to eat

3. where to drink

We both enjoy visiting cities and seeing what they have offer in the touristy stakes.

Thanks

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do

hi irish_lad84 - it would be helpful if you could provide some further information such as what interests you both, budget for eating and drinking as well as types of food. You should also take some time to read the 'things to do' section which gives reviews of the most popular tourist/visitor attractions.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do

There are some answers here for things to do in the city.

See my answer at 9:27 for the list of the main entertainment areas.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186402-i386-k69…

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do

For a first time visitor to the city I would say

For shopping visit the modern BullRing shopping centre. Also a walk up New St and Corporation St for the shopping

Visit our new huge expensive library (I know library sounds boring but this library is like no other you have ever been to). Go to the outside roof garden for some good views over the city and surrounding area.

Go to the "free" Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (BMAG), inside the wonderful Council House with the lovely dome. In fact the fountain in front of the council house is worth a visit in Victoria Square.

http://www.bmag.org.uk/

Go to the Jewellery Quarter, lots of interesting little shops and places to eat and drink

http://www.jewelleryquarter.net/

Walk round some of the canals in the city centre.

Go to the Sealife centre.

Stroll round the city centre (near the cathedral for example) and see some of the lovely building in Birmingham. The city gets some bad press for it architecture but there are some lovely buildings around the cathedral, and Colmore Row and Waterloo St etc.

There are some fine bars and restaurants in the area round the cathedral such as the Old Joint Stock (one of the most amazing pubs I have ever been in), and the bar on Bennetts Hill (not sure what it is called now but it is an old bank and right on the corner where two roads cross).

Visit the Thinktank science museum.

Go in the International Convention Centre and try to have a look in the wonderful Symphony Hall (or go to a concert there) or at the Town Hall (that looks like a Greek Temple).

Or go to Aston Hall (near the Aston Villa football ground)

http://www.bmag.org.uk/aston-hall

Also a few theatres like the Hippodrome, Alexandra, The Rep, the Crescent etc. All will have shows on.

There is a tourist information centre right in the middle of New St (in a stand alone glass building) right opposite Waterstones book shop and the Tourist Information Centre will help you with maps, things to do etc.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 15:53
VisitBirmingham
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do

Hi @irish_lad84

What to do:

So I can imagine your GF may want to have a little shop which if so, head to the Bullring! How about you visit The Mailbox where there are lots of shops, restaurants and you can enjoy a nice drink looking out onto Birmingham's canals. You could also take a trip to Cadbury World or the Sealife Centre?

There are so many things to do, take a look here for more inspiration: http://visitbirmingham.com/what-to-do/

Where to eat:

Birmingham is reknown for its food!

Luxury - Head to one of our Michelin star restaurant (Turners, Purnells, Simpsons or Adams)

Moderate - Opus Restaurant, Marco Pierre Whites Steakhouse, Ashas

Budget - Bodega, Balti Triangle, Cafe Ikon

Where to drink:

Head to the Champagne bar at the top of the Cube, where you relax with a drink and also take in the best views in Birmingham! mpwsteakhousebirmingham.co.uk/champagne-bar

If cocktails are your thing visit Lost and Found or Bodega (afew feet from each other)

If you are looking for somthing a little more cosy head to Pitcher and Piano

I hope this helps!

VB

www.visitbirmingham.com

5. Re: what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 07:23