We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Southampton/Salisbury - Birmingham on a Friday

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
under the sun
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel Southampton/Salisbury - Birmingham on a Friday

I'd be grateful for any ideas on how to get to Birmingham (say by 4pm) from either Southampton or Salisbury on a Friday in June without breaking the bank! National Express coaches take 5 to 6.5 hours, and cost 37 pounds. The cheapest rail journey I've found is via Reading for 25.70 pounds. Compared with other, longer UK rail journeys this seems expensive but may well be the best option. Perhaps someone knows of a coach trip that is quicker than 5 hours? I don't want to make more than 2 changes at the most. It seems that FRIDAY may be the problem: is Friday travel more expensive than a Saturday for example? Thanks in advance for any help.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Southampton/Salisbury - Birmingham on a Friday

The fares you have found are dirt cheap - normal rail singles are £75 to £80 a go.

If you can find an advance single for £25.70 then snap it up

From Southampton there are through trains - from Salisbury via Bristol is normally one change at Bristol

For coaches - megabus run from Southampton to Birmingham - usual fare seems to be £12. The times might not suit you though - early start or late finish. A 4 hour journey. You won't be able to book just yet

under the sun
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Southampton/Salisbury - Birmingham on a Friday

Thank you, dzug! Off to book that cheap ticket, then!

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Southampton/Salisbury - Birmingham on a Friday

Southampton trains would run through Reading anyway, no need to change.

Where are you seeing a 25.70 ticket? I can't replicate that for a Friday afternoon in June and it doesn't appear that advance tickets are on sale for those dates.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,511 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Southampton/Salisbury - Birmingham on a Friday

I've just had a look at the Cross Country Trains website and done a dummy search for Friday 30th May, which is the furthest Friday out that is currently bookable.

There are £34.80 Advance singles available on the 12.15 departure from Southampton Central, which gets into Birmingham New Street at 14.48. This is the cheapest Advance fare on that day.

If you go any other day that week, you can get Advance singles for as little as £21.30, so that would appear to be the cheapest fare for this journey.

5. Re: Travel Southampton/Salisbury - Birmingham on a Friday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:28