We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

Hi everyone. I could really do with some help. My sister and I are travelling to Birmingham with our mother for 3 nights in May. My Mom is over 70 and has had two knee operations so I want to stay as central as possible so there will be as little walking as possible. She loves to shop, break for coffee, nice meal out etc. Can anyone tell me the most central city hotels closest to the shops, I really would appreciate it. Would like a nice hotel......

Look forward to your opinions!

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

Hi Wexcouple - welcome to the Birmingham forum.

Close to the main shopping areas of the Bullring - the hotels are mostly budget but they are pretty good - Premier Inn (New St) ibis (Arcadian). if you're budget allows - Hotel Du Vin is in a lovely part of the city, great restaurant, bar and still very close to the shops. Hotel La Tour is wonderful too with a great restaurant, bar and the best afternoon tea in the city. Perfect for moms.

Both hotels have very good offers if you sign up tot heir emails on their websites.

Birmingham has a relatively compact city centre for a city of its size. Walking distances are not long but if they get too much, taxis are relatively cheap.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

I like the Macdonald Burlington on new street. Right in the middle of everything.

Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

Thank you Brum 74. I'll check these out....Some one suggested the Hyatt... Is this a central option?

Any idea how much a taxi would cost from the airport to either of these hotels?

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

Hyatt is a great hotel - but not near shops. my mom is in same position as your mom and it would be too far to walk for her.

cost of taxi from airport to city centre is about £20. As there are three of you, this is the best option but if cost is an issue, you can get train direct from airport to New Street Station. Trains run every few minutes. Both hotels are about 10-15 minutes walk from station.

emptynester44 has rightly suggested Macdonald Burlington which is very nice. It is however right next to New Street Station. There have been a number of grumbles from guests about noise levels £600 million redevelopment of New Street station. However, if you get a room at front of hotel, that should not be a problem.

The

Edited: 10 April 2014, 10:36
Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

Thank you again Brum 74. You have been a huge help! I have emailed both the Hotel du Vin and the Hotel La Tour so hopefully one of these will be able to accomodate. Could we walk to the shops from either yes??

Perfect, we will get a taxi, its not to expensive between us!

Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

Actually, is the Radisson a central option?? Really need to get the hotel sorted!!!

Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

Copthorne Hotel might be worth looking at. I am not an expert on Birmingham but stayed there recently -see review - it is right next to the new central library and just across the square from the Symphony Hall.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

Radisson is nice enough but personally, I am just not a fan of the décor (but obviously that is my personal view and others will disagree). Hotel Du Vin and Hotel La Tour are nicer and in about the same price bracket. They are all located about the same distance from the shops so go for the deal that suits you. you can walk to all main shopping areas form any of these hotels. Note - if you want to shop in the Jewellery Quarter, you will need to get a taxi or jump on metro or train from Moor St Station (right next to Hotel La tour) or Snow Hill Station (right next to Hotel du Vin).

Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

Thank you Harrogate. I will look into it........ Hotel La Tour told me they don't faciliatet 3 in a room and not many hotels will in Birmingham. The only one they could recommend was Jurry's Inn Broad Steet, this seems a bit of a treck tho??

Looks like I will be under pressure to find a nice central hotel :-(

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most Central Hotel...........Please Help!!!!!

Jury's is just the wrong location I'm afraid and being in the middle of Broad St with lots of nightclubs etc, it may not suit.

Try this - http://www.stayingcool.com/birmingham/clubman perfect location. Birmingham has lots of serviced apartments but this is a very good one and would suit perfectly. Location is right in the centre and perfect for shopping, restaurants etc. You can get 2 bedrooms or I think the one bed has a sofa bed in it.

Not quite as luxurious but brand new and again, right in the centre of things – try this one ihg.com/staybridge/…hoteldetail