We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids activities B'ham city centre

Derby
Level Contributor
4 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
Kids activities B'ham city centre

Hi, we are planning a trip to visit the Sea life centre on 23rd April, with 2 young children 4 & 7. We will be arriving by train so we will only be able to walk from New Street to the Sealife Centre and anywhere close by. I have been trying to find another activity for the children to do, as the SL centre should only take a couple of hours max, but I have drawn a blank. Does anyone have any ideas please? THANK YOU

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids activities B'ham city centre

Hi there,I've only visited Birmingham once 2 yrs ago for a weekend,so not an expert on the city,but had my 6 yr old at the time with us and we did the SL Centre which he luvd.We also went to the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery.He wasn't to interested in the art but did enjoy the museum which had children's activities and fact sheets etc.,Also lots of exhibits to touch & feel for the little ones.Entry was free,but we did leave a donation when we left.Spent a good 2 hrs or so in the museum.Not to far to walk from the SL centre aswell.

There's also the Thinktank Science museum which we didn't go to,but looking on line it looks quite a good place for children with lots of hands on activites for children and it has a planitarium .This always comes up in lists of 'what to do with kids in Birmingham' when u look on line.Don't know where abouts it's located in the city though.

The Sealife Centre is very near to the canal area of Birmingham,so a boat trip on the canal may be an idea also.They weren't running at the time of yr we went,but wud imagine they will be when you visit & I find most kids like a trip on the water.

Hope this helps abit and enjoy your time in Birmingham.......

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids activities B'ham city centre

Very near the Sea life centre is the new huge Birmingham Library.

While library may sound boring this is anything but a boring building, the inside is fantastic.

The inside is large, open plan, and exciting, with escalators going up the middle of the open plan area.

There is a huge balcony/garden on the 3rd floor which gives pretty good views over the city, but there is also a "secret garden" on the 7th floor which gives even better views over the city and surrounding area.

There are computer screens everywhere, plus a gift shop, and a café.

Also nearby as has been said is the BMAG which is free and well worth a look round.

The SeaLife centre, Library and BMAG are all within 5 minutes walk of each other.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids activities B'ham city centre

I agree that BMAG and Thinktank are excellent for kids. Also, check the Birmingham Mail website - they are listing loads of stuff for families over the Easter holidays.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids activities B'ham city centre

The Thinktank museum is the opposite side of the city from the SeaLife centre and the other activities mentioned (the Library and BMAG).

The Sea Life centre is West of the city centre (and West of New St station).

The Thinktank museum is East (or actually North East) from the city centre and New St station.

Having said that the city centre is not that large, so it is only about 1 and a half miles, or a 30 minute walk, though this is a long way for very young children.

Edited: 17 April 2014, 07:03
Derby
Level Contributor
4 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids activities B'ham city centre

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We visited the sealife centre today and the children loved it so much we left for lunch then went back, so no time to try anything else. Having said that I would have tried the library if we'd have had time as it looked great.

Thank you again

6. Re: Kids activities B'ham city centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:15