We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good spot for lunch

Manchester
Level Contributor
91 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Good spot for lunch

Hi,

My boyfriend and I will be in Birmingham this weekend for an engagement party. We arrive at Moor street station at 12 and we're staying in the holiday inn city center. Can you please recommend a good spot for a light lunch? We will be eating a big meal at about 6, so something like sandwiches would be perfect.

Many thanks in advance.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good spot for lunch

Five minutes walk away from the Holiday Inn is The Mailbox.

This is a large building which was an up market shopping centre (but is currently being refurbished inside).

However out the back are a number of places to eat and drink, and I am sure you could get a light lunch in any of them. Most of these buildings sit alongside the canal so it is a very pleasant place to sit and watch the world go by while you are having lunch.

Here is the web site

http://www.mailboxlife.com/

And here is a photo of it in the evening

…lastminute.com/wp-content/uploads/TheMailbo…

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good spot for lunch

In the opposite direction from the Mailbox, but still five minutes walk from the Holiday Inn, is the huge BullRing shopping centre.

As well as many many shops there are a number of places to eat, some of them out the "back" by the church, others (more café based) down the central outdoor walkway between the two main BullRing buildings, and others (again mostly café based) inside the BullRing itself.

But there are also places to eat inside Selfridges, and also a café in Debenhams.

If you are here at the weekend note the BullRing can get rammed so be aware that if you go there it wont be quiet.

Here is the web site

http://www.bullring.co.uk/

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good spot for lunch

Right opposite the Holiday Inn hotel, about 2 minutes walk away (and opposite the Hippodrome Theatre) is the Arcadian centre.

I think this is more based on restaurants and evening events (bars etc), however there is probably somewhere in there where you could get a light lunch.

And as it is so near it only takes a moment to stroll across to it

Web site here

http://www.thearcadian.co.uk/

Manchester
Level Contributor
91 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good spot for lunch

Thanks for your prompt responses. I usually like to eat in independent and unique or quirky places, so Debenhams and Selfridges are out. Do you have any recommendations for those type of places?

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good spot for lunch

One other option is to walk along New Street, which is a long pedestrianized street with shops either side, plus shops on many of the side roads.

New Street is only about a 5 minute walk from your hotel, and there are plenty of places to eat and drink along New Street, or on its side roads.

In fact if you fancy an afternoon stroll then start at the Bull statue in front of the BullRing, then stroll up New Street till you get to the "top end" where you can see the town hall (like a Greek temple), the lovely Council House building, and the huge cascading fountain in Victoria Square.

Victoria Square is a great place to sit and rest and "people watch".

If you then head towards our OLD library (currently empty and waiting to be knocked down) then underneath this library are a number of places where you can get a snack.

If you then come out the "back" of our old library you are in Centenary Square and can see our new library. Well worth popping inside as there are some outdoor gardens on the 3rd floor, and a "secret garden" on the 7th floor, which give great views over the city and surrounding areas.

From here you can easily and quickly stroll back to your hotel as you have already done part of a sort of circular walk and you are almost back at your hotel.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good spot for lunch

Someone else from Manchester asked a similar question a while ago and while there are not many answers it may help you.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186402-i386-k73…

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good spot for lunch

there are loads of independent places in the area you require to grab a light lunch - Cherry Reds (John Bright St) Café Blend, York's Bakery, The Bureau, Urban Coffee (Church St) 6/8 Kafe, Bodega, Pure Bar and Grill, Coffee Lounge (Navigation St)

I have recommended a selection of places serving from sandwiches to main courses. They are all very good and offer a great choice for people seeking to support independent traders. Most if not all have their own web sites.

The places I recommended in the Manchester link above are not really in the right area for you.

Finally - this link is a good starting point for further independent traders http://independent-birmingham.co.uk/

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Good spot for lunch

Re post 7 - just seen in the local paper that Cafe Blend in Navigation Street has closed down. birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birm…

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good spot for lunch

café Blend made the announcement on Sunday via twitter but were still trading on Saturday when the OP wanted to visit. Very sad indeed. They cite 'increased business costs' i.e. the rent has gone up. A great loss but hopefully they will pop up again in Birmingham soon. I received a PM from the OP saying she had a great time at Cherry Reds.

10. Re: Good spot for lunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16