We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
30 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

I've got a free day on an upcoming business trip to Birmingham and would like to spend a day out of doors at Baddesley Clinton and Packwood House. I'll be staying fairly near the Yardley Wood train station, and I see that both properties are located fairly near the Lapworth train station, so I can get from station to station with no problem.

My question is, how does one get from the Lapworth train station to either BC or PH? Is it walkable, or does one really need a car?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

I live fairly near both properties, in fact I visited Packwood House yesterday.

Both properties are rather isolated and visiting both on foot would involve a lot of walking.

It is about 2 miles from Lapworth station to Packwood house, then 2.7 miles to walk from Packwood House to Baddesley Clinton, then about 1.7 miles from Baddesley Clinton back to Lapworth station.

So just getting to the two properties from the station will involve about six and a half miles of walking, and that is before you walk round the houses and gardens.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

Also note that Yardley Wood, and Lapworth are not on the same rail line so there is no direct train from Yardley Wood to Lapworth.

Basically the trains start at Moor Street station in Birmingham and they go out on two "legs".

One leg goes down to Solihull, via Lapworth, to Warwick then London.

The other leg goes down to Yardley Wood then to Stratford Upon Avon where it stops.

So if you wanted to get to Lapworth you would need to get the train in to Birmingham Moor St station, then switch platforms and get the train down the other leg to Solihull then Lapworth. Note that some of the trains that go to Solihull then go on to London and don't stop at Lapworth.

The other option is to get from Yardley Wood to Solihull station by bus (or get taxi) and then get the train direct from Solihull to Lapworth.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

Do you particularly want to go to Packwood House and Baddesley Clinton or are you just looking for some historic properties?

If so then maybe go to Stratford Upon Avon which is just down the same train line from Yardley Wood.

This is a fine historic town, where Shakespeare was born and lived much of his life, and while it can be rather touristy there are many fine old buildings round the town.

http://www.visitstratforduponavon.co.uk/

If you need any more help with your visit then just ask.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

If you are looking for an old building to visit then Aston Hall in the centre of Birmingham is one possibility

http://www.bmag.org.uk/aston-hall

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
30 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

Thank you very much for your informative responses. I greatly appreciate your help.

I will have several days off during this trip and already planned to visit Warwick, Stratford, Kenilworth, and the Birmingham Museum. For this day, I was looking at Baddesley Clinton simply because I thought it would be nice to get out and enjoy the fresh air and some brisk walking. However, it sounds like this trip might be a bit more complex than it seemed on the surface. (by the way, I don't mind the idea of switching trains, as I'll be doing plenty of that on the rest of my visit and should, I hope, feel quite comfortable with it by the time I finally get to Birmingham)

May I ask you a few more questions on this subject?

If I rethink the idea of doing both houses and just stick with one or the other which would you recommend? Does one have nicer gardens and grounds for walking than the other?

How does one get from Lapworth station to the properties? Is it safe to walk alone? When viewing the properties on Google Maps, it would appear that there are no paths that lead from the station to the property, so one must walk the long way round. Is this assumption correct?

If this is just not a workable idea without a car, are there any other properties in safe areas that are accessible by train and by foot? I looked at Aston Hall but it would appear that one would have to walk a bit of a distance through a somewhat questionable area to get from Aston station to Aston Hall. As a woman traveling alone, I seek to avoid any area that looks like it might be dodgy.

Thanks again for your assistance. It's a bit daunting sometimes to plan these business trips from afar and it helps so much to have the help of someone who actually knows what they're talking about :).

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

Both Packwood House and Baddesley Clinton are quite small houses (they are not huge mansions) but they are somewhat different.

Packwood House has the core of a Tudor house but it had been much adapted. In the 1930s a man called Baron Ash bought the house and tried to "recreate" an Elizabethan/Tudor House by buying parts from local houses and churches that were being demolished and use those parts to extend and adapt his house.

For example he converted a barn/cow shed near his house in to a "grand hall" and then built a long gallery to connect it to the main house.

So it is some what of a Frankenstein house with some of it Tudor original, and other parts 1930 "mock ups". However the recent "add ons" have been done well and have an interest in themselves.

The gardens are very pleasant and interesting with a small lake you can walk round.

Baddesley Clinton is a small moated manor house, so it is quite romantic, with a moat and water all round it, and a small bridge to get in to the house.

It has also been much adapted (as happened with all old houses), but all the adaptions are old and done at the time (rather than in the 1930s like Packwood house).

Baddesley has a number of priest holes where Catholic priests could hide. This was during the period when England was trying to move from Catholic to Protestant (Henry V111, Mary, Elizabeth 1st) and families who supported Catholics would often build places for priests to hide if ever the house was raided and searched.

However the gardens at Baddesley Clinton are quite modest and do not take long to look round.

So to be honest the HOUSE at Baddesley is the slightly more interesting, but the GARDENS at Packwood are nicer.

Both houses are right in the country side and in a rather "posh" area (there are some large expensive houses in the area) but they are country lanes with no pavements so walking these lanes can be dangerous if cars are driving down them. However they are safe "areas", and you are not likely to get mugged!

I do have a map of the area with footpaths marked on it so I will see if there are any footpaths from the station to either property.

Both houses are National Trust and you can buy a foreign visitors pass which can be sent to you in the US and his gives you free entry into all NT properties.

Web site for Packwood House

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/packwood-house/

Web site for Baddesley Clinton

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/baddesley-clinton/

I will also have a look and see if there are any other properties that maybe you can visit and I will get back to you.

I assume you are already planning to visit Warwick Castle and Kenilworth Castle.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
30 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

Yes, I am planning to visit both of those locations. Can't wait to see them, in fact :)

I very much appreciate your willingness to provide such excellent advice. You are a total rock star for helping me. I look forward to hearing about the possible footpaths, as it would be very nice to be able to find a shortcut from the station to the houses.

Thanks again for all of your help. I am grateful.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

Just to say that I have walked from the Lapworth to station to visit Baddesley Clinton. Unfortunately, it was over a decade ago, so the details are not well remembered. What I do remember is that the walk was pleasant and easy, took about half an hour, I don`t remember any dangerous traffic. The previous responder describes the house well. I probably spent about an hour there before walking back to Lapworth, and then walked back to Warwick along the Grand Union Canal towpath.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

I will add more things to your question as I think of them.

Note there is no train station in Kenilworth, so getting there to visit the castle may be difficult.

There WAS a train station at Kenilworth but it closed in around 1965, and there have been plans to build a new one for many years but it has never happened. I believe they now plan to open one in around 2016, too late for your visit I assume !

There is a train station in Warwick and you can walk to the castle from there.

Note there is a station called Warwick Parkway but this is outside the town. It is designed for people to park their cars there and get the train down to London to save them driving to London. Don't get off at Warwick Parkway to visit the castle.

There are quite a few nice old buildings in Warwick, a very old church, and Lord Leycester Hospital, a very old building.

http://lordleycester.com/

The two main organizations in England for preserving old buildings are the National Trust and English Heritage.

So Packwood House and Baddesley Clinton are both National Trust, and Kenilworth Castle is English Heritage.

You can visit their web sites to see if there are other properties nearby owned by them that you may want to visit.

National Trust web site

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/

English Heritage web site

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/

There are of course many old buildings NOT managed by those two organizations, such as Warwick Castle, Shakespeare's properties in Stratford, and many other stately homes and other historic buildings.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Birmingham Yardley Wood to Baddesley Clinton/Packwood House

There are field paths for at least some of the walk between Lapworth station and Packwood House and Baddesley Clinton. You'd need a map to find them

www.streetmap.co.uk would be start - you can play about with the scale