We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit help please

chester UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First visit help please

My female friend and I meet up a couple of tines a year. I live in the north west she in south west wales. We have been to Shropshire and London this year. I have never been to Birmibgham so I would like to know what there is to do apart from eating and drinking? We will certainly cover that ourselves!! Not really bothered about shopping. See London visit earlier this year!! We both like history and sightseeing. We will probably stay pretty central but one of us may take a car. We are early 60s ladies - active and fit and definitely not stuffy!!

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit help please

many of the options in response to a post yesterday in the following link apply equally to any visitors tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186402-i386-k76…

I would also recommend a visit to the Botanical Gardens, Back to Backs, BMAG, canal boat trips, Sarehole Mill and Moseley Bog (both close to each other about 4 miles from city centre). The following link has suggestions from a very recent article in The Independent.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/a-former…

Concerts, theatres and sporting fixture listings may also be of interest.

There are a lot of things to keep you and your friend busy and entertained.

chester UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit help please

Thank you very much Brum 74. I shall be investigating all that info. Sounds like some pretty interesting stuff!!

Rather ashamed to admit - I thought we may be struggling for things to do!! Please no posts now asking why!! I accept my ignorance!! Lol!!

Edited: 08 August 2014, 14:37
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit help please

Do have a look at 1. the Library of Birmingham (ultra modern), 2 the canals, and 3. perhaps surprisingly, Moor Street Station, which is a brilliant piece of restoration to 1920s ambience - and two tea rooms - real Brief Encounter stuff! My wife and I are the same age as OP and thought it excellent

4. Re: First visit help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 06:17