We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather

Jacksonville...
12 posts
Save Topic
weather

When is the best time to visit West Sussex, England regarding the weather? What are their seasons like?

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather

The weather in the UK can be unpredictable, you don't say when you are coming but assuming your coming in the summer months, as an example last week it was hot, with temps around 26C this week it's rained a lot and temperatures are struggling to get above 14C most days.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather

There's a good reason to visit Sussex in every season. You do need to understand at the outset though that weather patterns here (and in the UK overall) are very unsettled and the following can change dramatically from year to year.

Spring for instance can be anything. Frosts in the early part, we even had significant snow in April a few years ago. I've been sunburnt at my local's beer festival over the Mayday Bank holiday, but this year I got soaked. It's a lovely time though, everything coming into bloom; the cuckoo can be heard. April showers can be expected, but then again there was no measurable rain at all here in April 2011.

Summer - likewise. We can have very hot summers but recent years have been disappointing. Hot days can end spectacularly as thunderstorms drift across the channel at night. But this is still your best chance for prolonged warm and dry weather.

Autumn is another distinct season here. September can still be summerlike and you can even get an "Indian Summer" extending into October. But expect increasing frosts and fog in this "season of mellow fruitfulness" as the hedgerow fruits (and apples) ripen. There's community cider (hard cider to you) making days in places like Rudgwick which are great fun. You must not miss the great bonfire traditions of East Sussex, peaking in Lewes on the 5th (of November) but also in Rye, East Hoathly, Battle and elsewhere.

Winter can be calm and frosty or windy and mild, often both in the same week. This is your best chance of snow - being holed up in a Sussex country pub for a day or two has to be my ultimate dream. You may even find "wassailing" (google it !) on twelth night if you look hard enough.

Mike

Jacksonville...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: weather

Thanks for the update. I would be coming for 3 months and prefer the cooler/cold weather over hot. I was thinking spring/autumn would be best for me. Although I do like snow. What 3 months would you suggest. I like festivals and lots of things to do.

Edited: 05 June 2012, 21:37
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,848 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weather

We don't know which would be the best months for the reasons described above. But if you want festivals then you need to be in the UK between June and September.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather

You don't need to come in the summer. I'd suggest September, October and November in Sussex - less crowded, cooler and still loads going on. Off the top of my head...

westdean.org.uk/Garden/…AppleAffair.aspx

http://www.chiddinglyfestival.co.uk/

www.enjoysussex.info/thedms.aspx…

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussex_Bonfire_Societies

Mike

England
Level Contributor
702 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather

September is often a good month - mild and still a chance of warm weather and sunshine. As Autumn progresses, the scenery can be spectacular in the country. Cool, misty mornings and then the sun breaks through to illuminate the autumn leaves. Have a look at the area just to the South of Gatwick airport - Ashdown Forest, the South Downs, etc. for scenery. The area just to the East and West of Gatwick are flat - for obvious reasons!

7. Re: weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2013, 10:15