We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Chichester

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Chichester

How do I get from downtown London to Chichester? My parents were married there during the war and my daughter and I want to visit the military base there.

Lynda

4 replies to this topic
Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Chichester

Trains to Chichester leave from Victoria. The operating company is www.southernrailway.com. However, if the military base you're interested in is Thorney Island, it's actually nearer to Havant which is reached by (rather faster) trains from Waterloo operated by www.southwesttrains.co.uk.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Chichester

What about Tangmere?

Lynda

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Chichester

Yes, that's just east of Chichester whereas Thorney Island is just west. If you haven't already found the web site, you might want to look at tangmere-museum.org.uk.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Chichester

My parents met at Thorney Island. There is still an MOD presence there but nothing much to see. You can walk around it, pretty bleak by all accounts.

There was a barracks in Chichester itself until just a few years ago. Now being redeveloped as niche housing I believe.

More information from the OP please.

Mike

Reply to: Visiting Chichester
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted