We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your help please - Chichester or Winchester?

Which Chichester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Your help please - Chichester or Winchester?

Dear readers:

I would like advice on which town is a better option to spend two nights accommodation in - Winchester or Chichester? The issue is that we have to catch a 09:45 hour flight back to Toronto from Gatwick at 0945 hrs. We will have a rented car - looking for your opinion?

Which town would be a good base to see Southampton / Portsmouth.

We love small towns, arts and warm atmospheres.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your help please - Chichester or Winchester?

Perhaps post your entire itinerary?

You will need to check in for your flight at 6:45--perhaps staying at Gatwick would be a good idea. Rush hour is fairly unpredictable.

england
Level Contributor
4,893 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your help please - Chichester or Winchester?

I stayed in a De Vere hotel near Fareham recently - closer to Southampton. Any particular reason for Winchester/Chicester choice? If you are getting a 9.45 flight you'll possibly need to be at the airport 7.45 or earlier so traffic won't be as much of an issue at it will be later on but I'd be inclined to choose Chichester suspecting that would be the route least affected by traffic delays.

Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your help please - Chichester or Winchester?

Here is the plan thus far:

Booked to arrive London via Gatwick, October 30th until Sunday November 4.

Travel to Gatwick to pick up a rental car and travel to Windsor, then on to Oxford for 2 nights, up to November 4th.

Next - would like to see Winchester cathedral, Salsibury, perhaps and then the plan is open....undecided....

We could get up very early in the morning ( no traffic I assume at 0500 hrs ) and head back to Gatwick to catch the plan to Toronto.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your help please - Chichester or Winchester?

Hmmm....I think I would do your trip differently.

Pick up the car and visit Windsor. Be very careful about where you park, and be sure to have lots of change. Do not park in the private lots.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c132451/Winds…

Visiting Windsor Castle:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

From there I would drive to Winchester and Salisbury, and *then* go up to Oxford, where I would drop off the car.

Return to Gatwick via the Airline bus from Oxford--a 2 1/2 hour journey on a luxury bus with wi-fi. Although you might sleep through it.

www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=25

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your help please - Chichester or Winchester?

If you are going to do LauraRW's route above, pick up the car from Heathrow airport. So very much closed to Windsor (less than half an hours drive).

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your help please - Chichester or Winchester?

If you specifically want to visit Winchester Cathedral and Salisbury (Chichester's cathedral is alright too but I personally prefer the other two) I would stay in Winchester, as it's also closer to Southampton. It will however add an hour onto your journey to Gatwick, but then what are you going to get done on that morning anyway? :)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your help please - Chichester or Winchester?

fenny89, the OP will have been and gone from their trip by now :-)

Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your help please - Chichester or Winchester?

Our trip is now complete and we have a fabulous trip. Visited London ( Gatwick). Spent 4 nights in the wonderful city of London ( Citadines Trafalgar sq), then to Term 5 at Heathrow to pick up rental car ( Audi ) and toured Windsor and the castle on route to Oxford. Stayed at B and B in both Oxford and Winchester. Both towns were lovely. Out trip was amazing and the British foll were so pleasant. Did not encounter any obstacles. Thanks to TA for the information that was supplied.

9. Re: Your help please - Chichester or Winchester?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 14:15