We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichester or Arundel

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Chichester or Arundel

We have booked a train journey at the weekend calling at Arundel and Chichester, we've got 3 hours to spend in either location and would like some advice on where is best to visit. I think there is a good and frequent train service between the two places but will we have time as we've also got to schedule in some lunch! Should we just stick to either one or the other and if so which has the most interesting things to see in a short visit... we don't want shops but like the outdoors so somewhere nice to walk and some good places to eat would be great!

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichester or Arundel

Definitely Arundel. It's a 10 minute walk from the station to the town, but then everything you need is gathered in and around the High St including the castle. The Castle Tandoori is an excellent curry house.

The wetlands centre is easily walkable in a few minutes or you can walk along the river a bit further to a pleasant pub, the Black Rabbit.

Chichester is a small city with good shopping, but disappointing pubs, a combination that rules it out of serious consideration for me at least. Better to continue to Fishbourne to see The Roman Palace or the lovely harbourside village of Bosham, if Arundel doesn't suit.

Mike

Level Contributor
3,237 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichester or Arundel

Chichester is a lovely city with a cathedral and nice - but mostly chain - shops. If you're from Lincoln it's quite similar but a lot flatter.

Arundel is altogether different - a very striking small town with a castle and independent shops. Nice to wander.

I'd say Arundel would be a bit quirkier, although I'm very fond of Chichester (but mostly for shopping).

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichester or Arundel

Both have nice Georgian architecture. Arundel is smaller and a bit more rural. Black Rabbit is a nice location but food IMO is not great. The station is also a bit of a walk from the town - see google maps.

Chichester - the area round the cathedral is nice to wander. There is also a very good art gallery. Pallant House.

Of the 2 I would go for Chichester.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chichester or Arundel

Many thanks... that's helped and thanks for the tip about the gallery, think that might be worth a visit!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chichester or Arundel

I know the weekend has passed but for anyone else I would also say Arundel!

Great castle (can seem expensive but there is is a lot of amazing stuff inside as well as gorgeous grounds and the library is unlike any I've ever seen! Arundel also has a great little museum (reasonably priced unlike Chichester's 'Novium' disaster), the lovely river, Swanbourne Lake, Great shops and nice places to eat.

Chichester has a nice Cathedral, (not as nice as Arundel's ornate Roman Catholic one though) but it's full of Italian chain restaurants, overpriced sub par pubs and generic chain shops (and this is coming from someone who lives in Chichester but works in Arundel!)

Nice enough if you don't know better but if you only have a day and need to pick then yes, Arundel for me. :)

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chichester or Arundel

Many thanks... we decided on Arundel but it was raining when the train arrived so changed our minds and went for Chichester. The 3 hours went by quickly as we spent about 40 minutes in the lovely Bishops garden ( the other half is a keen photographer so lingers a lot) another 40 odd minutes in the cathedral, found a little place displaying works of art and pottery near a car park. Had lunch in one of the Italian restaurants, which whiled away another hour, then had a look at the canal basin and a short visit to M&S! Just had time to go to the loo and get back on the train... perhaps if the trip comes up again we'll see a bit of Arundel!

7. Re: Chichester or Arundel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 17:15