We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Fareham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
22 helpful votes
Changegate car park - avoid at all costs
Save

Not having had the benefit of reading these posts we had parked on the line of a bay - there was no bay on the other side of the line and got stung for £90 - cash only. Whilst we were there another 4 people were clamped. One person at 15.31 on a ticket that expired at 15.29.

The cashpoint machine is in a pub in the village- when I entered I was advised that it had run out of money and the lday behind the bar said, without prompting 'Have you been clamped?'

We will not now return to Haworth. I know that the car park is private but if the local community really wanted to stop this then they could take some sort of action.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,902 posts
393 reviews
98 helpful votes
21. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs
Save

Maybe tradomg standards, the local councillor and the mp should be involved something might be possible, but there is the fact they should be reasonable and allow you five minutes grace and not clamping early may in fact be illegal if you have a ticket the same goes for blue badge holders, I believe it's illegal to clamp in such situations when a badge is displayed.

Please read this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/6690759.stm got a feeling if it's the same man he was banned from operating some time back.

Edited: 12 years ago
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
539 posts
37 reviews
71 helpful votes
22. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs
Save

ClaireH, I would not go so far as to call it a “car park” more like the entrance to Hell! With Ted Evans’ Henchman on the gate. I have just finished watching Edward Scrooge starring Ross Kemp, we all know the story. Apart from the last 15 minutes, during the whole story all I could see was that THUG that clamped me on the 17th of Dec. Whilst I was sat in my car. I and my wife had gone to see our 10 year old granddaughter in her school nativity play at Haworth Church. We were a few minutes early so my wife popped across the road to the gift shop there to buy two stocking fillers for the grandchildren, while I stayed in the car out of the bitter cold. I was just getting out of the car to the pay at the machine, when as if from nowhere, that THUG in his long black leather coat had the clamp on. No reasoning was going to change his mind. All he would say was “I saw your wife get out and go to the shop, I’ve given you 5 minutes” and “£90 gets it off”. Even explaining why we were there in the first place, “£90 gets it off”. I will always remember that evil sneer.

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
3 helpful votes
23. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs
Save

The comments about the activities at this car park being legal are very misguided. No private person has the power to impose fines or penalties in a situation like this. The most they can claim for is their actual losses. Anything above their losses is an unfair penalty.

To find out more go to a website called Pepipoo or the Money Saving Expert forums and look in the parking sections to see more examples of how the private parking industry is an unregulated bunch of scam merchants.

24. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

3 posts
25. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs
Save

I strongly suspect that the statement that this busines is 'operating within the law' is highly questionable. The tactics they use are suspect to say the least!

3 posts
26. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs
Save

Does anyone out there know what the tariff is for parking on the changegate car park at howarth?

3 posts
27. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs
Save

I strongly suspect that the statement that this busines is 'operating within the law' is highly questionable. The tactics they use are suspect to say the least!

Essex
Level Contributor
40,270 posts
62 reviews
198 helpful votes
28. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs
Save

Intrigued as to why it is suddenly so very interesting to you, jilly454, that your first 3 posts ever on TA should home in on this subject??

Just don't park there. Several other car-parks in Haworth that are less troublesome. Use them instead.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
41 helpful votes
29. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs
Save

The local police at Haworth claim that ANY dispute on this land, is automatically a civil dispute. However, police were offered (at Inspector level), evidence that the machine was rigged though for some reason, 'declined' to accept the evidence or record the allegation. Tampering with a machine or using an incorrectly calibrated parking machine is a criminal offence. The police may come to regret that they failed to act. Their inactivity raises questions.

It is also clear, that the car park fails any level of fair trading. The signs are carefully placed to seem obvious, but in reality - they are not! Strategic use of signs makes it impossible for the car driver to see the signs when entering and parking - only a pedestrian OUTSIDE the car park can SOMETIMES see the signs - depending on who is parked in front of them. The markings on the ground indicating space boundaries are as good as invisible in many cases.

There is no mention of clamping at the entrance to the car park.

If a car is clamped, the clamp has to be removed BY LAW - as soon as AN OFFER TO PAY HAS BEEN MADE. However, the police are doing nothing to ensure that the Haworth crooks are doing this. Instead, the villains only remove the clamp once cash has been placed in their hands. This is extortion. In Scotland it is deemed in law to be just that!

Everything about this never ending saga of theft, would suggest that law enforcers have been compromised in some way. In my opinion, Yorkshire police are just as much on trial as Evans himself. I remains deeply suspicious about the police inactivity. In contrast, Birminham police acted swiftly on a group of hoods using similar tactics.

We must question, whether the fact that the organiser of the Haworth scam is an ex-magistrate who had years of close involvement with Yorkshire police, is not merely a coinicidence, but may even go partly to explain the current 'hands off' approach being adopted by the police service.

Visitors to Haworth be aware - British law has abandoned the Changegate Car Park - the police will only protect Evans and his mob. Go carefully through this, Her Majesty's unpoliced zone.

Important word concerning Victim Support. If you have been clamped at this car park, you are almost certainly a victim of crime (in spite of the dubious police claim). ANYONE clamped at Changegate CP can report themselves as a victim of crime to Victim Support - even if the offence is NOT reported to police (This is your absolute right! Source: Victims Support) EVERYBODY should consdier doing this. At the very least you will be counted as a victim of crime, even if the police didn't bother! This is one way to get noticed, as the government hate statistics when they are made to look useless! And on this matter they WORSE than useless!

Burnley, United...
1 post
1 review
30. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs
Save

ive just returned to my home in burnley after a lovely day out with my wife and 2 kids aged 6 and 9 , until i got back to my car.i returned to find my car clamped ,to say i was surprised is an understatement.on entering the car park a very kind lady asked if i would like a ticket with 6 hours left on it and as ive done this many times myself and was glad id got one back i took it , displayed it and walked off happy( like 99% of people would,so dont say you wouldnt).as soon as i approached my car tony farnell came upto me to see if it was my car whilst messing with his phone.he said id transfered my ticket which i said was true but it still had 4 hours left.he said it wasnt allowed as the pathetic signs pointed out but i never saw them as i didnt go to ticket machine.£90 release fee was my only option as advised by police who were already there dealing with around 6 other {offenders}.£540 in 5 minutes is beckham wages but i bet he pays tax unlike cash only clampers.his only evidence is a voice recording which im not sure would stand up in court , as im sure lots of people talk with the same tones etc .i cant beleive theyve never been badly beaten up or there building not smashed therefore a halt on there trading,cos beleive me it will do if someones there with mates and not there wife and kids. i think the reason its gone on so long is the position of it being right in front of a police station which they obviously see as some sort of protection. look forward to seeing ted evans , his son gareth and the bottom licking yes man tony farnell when new laws come in , trying to earn a proper living

Get answers to your questions about Haworth
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.