We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real Ale

Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Real Ale

I know I saw a thread re Leeds pubs etc but I would like to know which pubs you consider best for a real ale enthusiast(price consideration as well!).

Roughly how much is the average pint of real ale these days in Leeds. Hope hasn't reached London prices yet!!

Also, if poss, any real ale pubs you may know close-ish to the Ibis Hotel.

many thanks,

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Real Ale

Well the last post recently sounded for Tetley's brewery. But there is a good number of pubs. I would suggest that you try Whitelocks just off Briggate for the experience and not bad beer.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,969 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real Ale

I find the BITE website useful and the reviews are usually accurate. (I've already entered the location as Leeds for you!).

www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml…

I don't know how much a pint of real ale costs in Leeds, but in Liverpool the average cost is on the wrong side of £2.50 and in some pubs you don't get much change, if any, from three one pound coins! Sad days in deed, especially as pubs and bars are still able to knock out cheap pints of watered down rubbish such as Carling and Fosters!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real Ale

The Palace is closest to where I work although slightly off the beaten track -

nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thepalacekirkgateleeds/…

They used to do a mean chip butty but it looks as if they've moved a bit more upmarket with the food these days.

The Scarborough (known locally as The Taps) is very popular and I've been in there when they've had a mini beer festival on. A drinking pub rather than an eating one, close to the railway station.

leedsguide.co.uk/company/…2146447225

For wonderful surroundings try the Victoria behind the town hall. The main bar is amazing - stained glass, brass, booths etc

nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thevictoriahotelgreatge…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Real Ale

If it's real ale that you're interested in, suggest that the Campaign for Real Ale might be a source of information, especially the local branch. Does this help? http://www.leeds-camra.com/

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,914 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real Ale

A few of my favourite real ale pubs around the city centre are The Grove, Adelphi, The Palace, Whitelocks, TheVictoria & Mr Foleys. All have a good selection of real ales. The price of a pint of real ale in Leeds is around the £2.50 mark.

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Real Ale

I'd add Veritas (near the Victoria behind Town Hall), Leeds Brewery Tap(near station), North Bar (Briggate) , Midnight Bell, Cross Keys, The Hop and The Grove

leeds
Level Contributor
252 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real Ale

Hi Doofus,

sorry if this is a bit late. The Ibis is outside the city centre (app1 mile). However If you come out of the Ibis, Turn left up Marlborough street and Left at the top There is a nice little Real ale bar called the fox and newt. Average is £270 to £3 per pint. From there if you come out of the pub and turn right, back along the top of marlborough street its about 15 mins into the millenium square area, They have the normal selection of about 12 hand pulled beers at reasonable prices. as previously mentioned, The Palace (Near the big parish church)and Whitelockks (up a ginnel of briggate) . About 100 yds from here is The duck and drake, a bit basic but gd all. are both ok. Also in a ginnel up briggate is thesam smiths pub called "the angel" Definitely avoid the greek street area (wine bars and beer like pi**). Hope this helps

Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Real Ale

Thanks. Just got that!! Am in Leeda again next week and staying at same hotel so will try that place!

Loughborough, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Real Ale

I did like Mr Foley's but somehow managed to pay £7 for a pint! to be fair it was an American beer on tap, it was pretty strong and I should have only had a half pint!

Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Real Ale

galey2000,

I did make it to the Fox and Newt on your suggestion. Very close by to the Ibis. I went on a monday evening and enjoyed it. Good beer and a great juke box with all the golden oldies. Pity they stopped doing meals etc at 7pm as they looked really good and well priced. A nice old looking pub as well inside.

BUT, I went back again on the tuesday evening about 8pm. What a complete change!! Must have been a night when a special group of people turn up. Really loud music upstairs. I don't know what sort of colective noun the group would come under. Gothic maybe-- i am not up to date. Having said that they were all very polite. Pity about the music!