We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese and Indian Restaurants

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese and Indian Restaurants

We are going to Leeds this weekend and wondered if anyone could recommend any good Chinese or Indian restaurants in the city centre please. Not too expensive. Thanks in advance.

Leeds
Level Contributor
18 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese and Indian Restaurants

For Chinese, I always enjoy Red Chilli on Great George Street near Millennium Square. The food's great, and the menu's got some quite unusual choices on it. (www.redchillirestaurant.co.uk/leeds_about.asp)

For Indian, there are several options but my vote goes to the Aagrah which is just on the edge of the city centre near the West Yorkshire Playhouse. (http://www.aagrah.com/ and choose the Leeds City branch).

leeds, uk
Destination Expert
for Leeds
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese and Indian Restaurants

from a chinese point of view, tong palace, open daily till 3am

red chillis got fined last year due to food poisoning it was all over the papars

yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/…

Tong palace has since pumped money in and got new carpets!!!

if in doubt ask the staff to recommend something off the *chinese* menu not the english one

i recommend the siu mai dim sum and for main course either stuffed trio in black bean sauce or chinese braised beef on rice sticks

they make their own rice sticks

Leeds
Level Contributor
669 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese and Indian Restaurants

Hi,

I also read the YEP about Red Chilli. I haven`t been there since, but when I did go there the food was always nice.

Good to hear the Tong Palace is still good, I must go back there.

leeds, uk
Destination Expert
for Leeds
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese and Indian Restaurants

yeah i stopped going cos of that, my brother and friend posted the report on FB and i was like omg!!

although i love tong's, i been betraying them lately, i been going to hometown ktv...purely for the unlimited hot pot, which is a shame...because the menu is in purely simplified chinese...which i struggle to read, the soup base is home made, and the fat beef in unlimited ^__^

i have gone for the hot pot 5 times in 3 weeks

*hotpot... is a soup/ broth pot sat on a campus stove/ or a hot plate, kept simmering/ boiling, and ingrediants are added to the soup to *cook*

you then have various dip, which you dip your meat/ veg in, i bit like a cheese fondue

its a very popular chinese winter comfort food

from my facebook page, picture of hot pot

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphot…

Leeds
Level Contributor
669 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese and Indian Restaurants

Thanks for info re hotpot.

The wife is a big fan of hotpot. In fact we even have our own hotpot just like the one on your FB page apart from we have a gas camping stove. She loves to try different recipes and ingredients. Unlimited hot pot sounds good.

Tonight we are going to the Black house as there is an offer for half price food in January if booked on line, if anyone wants a link send me a PM. Next meal out will certainly try Hometown ktv.

Totties, sorry to go off topic.

Good advice regarding Aagrah, but also worth a look in Akbars for curry. tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186411-…

There are a few all you can eat Chinese buffets places around, though I have found that the quality of food suffers. However, if you are looking for something different along the all you can eat buffet theme try Red hot buffet.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186411-d1… . Possibly better suited to those who want a bit of a party , rather than to enjoy quality food.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 11:30
6. Re: Chinese and Indian Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Leeds
Recent Conversations