We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour de france harewood house start

Which Leeds hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
258 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
tour de france harewood house start

I will be watching the tour de france from harewood house on 5th July with a work colleague and need to know where best to watch the start from the grounds and any other tips on how to get close to see the riders any advice on how to spend the day in the grounds / what is going on would be great to get a ride in one of the team cars :-)

Manchester,
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour de france harewood house start

Any idea what the best time would be to arrive to avoid traffic jams etc?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tour de france harewood house start

Having just passed that way today, road closures are going to cause MAJOR problems with roads closed from 3:00am. As a rule assume you won't be able to cross the route

For Harewood on the Saturday you will probably be coming in from Wetherby as the A61 will be closed from the Harrogate direction

…yorkshire.com/travel/travel-information-map

festivalofcycling.org/wp-content/uploads/201…

Belfast
Level Contributor
478 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour de france harewood house start

I'm not a local but am coming over for the Tour and all the information you need is on the official websites

http://letour.yorkshire.com

http://www.festivalofcycling.org

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
207 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour de france harewood house start

Make sure you are in before the roads close., as already said roads will be closing from 3am follow links from letour,yorkshire to Leeds road closures. Harewood is the official start and Duke & Duchess of Cambridge willbe there to perform the start together with Prince Harry before they go to Harrogate for the stage finnish to hand ot the first yellow jersey.

Assume the comment about a ride in a team car was very much tongue in cheek

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour de france harewood house start

Personally? I'd watch it from one of the Hubs, there's going to be LOADS going on in places like Otley, Skipton etc...as allanrow& scot6 suggested have a look at the websites. By the time the riders will have passed through Otley, they'll just be out of the neutral zone, so there will be break away groups. The best place to watch? Probably Buttertubs, but getting there, unless you walked/ride, will be impossible on the day, unless you camp overnight. Road closures are happening from Friday night in some areas.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour de france harewood house start

Where did you watch from in the end? My god what a weekend, the caravan & cyclists were a little disappointing, but the atmosphere & community spirit made up for it! I have NEVER seen Otley, or Yorkshire, for that matter, like it! Made me PROUD to be Yorkshire through n through. Listened to an Australian chap being interviewed on stray fm, a harrogate radio station, & he had watched for the last20 years LIVE, every grand depart AND every stage of le tour in France, & he,s never seen a grand depart like the Yorkshire grand depart.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,398 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tour de france harewood house start

Madm00se, the cyclists were disappointing? What were you expecting?!

I was in North Yorkshire for a few days before the race, all the villages were lovely, great effort by local communities. Harrogate, under the Flame Rouge for stage one. Sheffield for stage two, were feeling the after effects of the sun from the day before, so abandoned the original plan of Oughtibridge and chilled out in front of the big screen in the Peace Gardens.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour de france harewood house start

I think I'd have preferred to have watched it from the Town Centre itself (as Otley was a HUB) on the big screen, rather than watch them "face to face" (as it were!) All I'm saying is that the atmosphere & the build up was more exciting. I'm in agreement with you, ALL the communities came together & made everyone feel welcome & I'm so pleased with the amount of extra income it's brought into the towns, Otley alone had an additional 20000 people!! (or so they reckon!) My cousin lives in Pool & she said she's never seen anything like it either! The scene at the top of Buttertubs (sat) & Kexgill (sun) was just AMAZING, sends shivers down my back 1 week on!! x

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tour de france harewood house start

The atmosphere was fantastic - I live on the route in the neutral zone before they got to Harewood House so saw it from my front garden - I've watched the final stage on the Champs Élysées and it surpassed that.

Great community spirit around us, amazing global advert for gods own county, even the sun shone.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,553 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tour de france harewood house start

I went to Huddersfield and watched it from outside the Rat & Hatchett pub on Chapel Hill.

Le Tour went right past the pub and it wasn't as busy as I expected it to be. Plus, you could take your beer out of the pub in plastic "glasses" to the roadside where the cyclists whizzed past in seconds.

It was a great build up though because for 2 hours the "Caravan" went past before the "Peleton" arrived.

Would have liked to have gone out into the countryside a bit, but this suited me fine considering I was staying in a hotel in the centre of Huddersfield and I also wanted to check out the many wonderful real ale pubs in the town.

Plus, I had to get the train back to Liverpool after the Le Tour passed through town. ;-)