We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll Booths

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Toll Booths

I am planning a trip in June and noticed that my driving instructions included a Partial Toll on TollBridge Rd. and also a full tollon Toll Lane.

Could someone explain the procedure when I arrive at one. How much would I be expected to Pay will there be

an attendant or are such things on the honour system?

Many thanks of all of the great advice I have received this month

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll Booths

Please give more details of where these toll "roads" are?

They sound like the very old toll roads (usually at bridges) which still exist in a very few areas where the local landlord still has many centuries of rights to charge for passage across "his/her" bridge even though this bridge may well be on a "normal" highway.

I used to drive over one in Oxfordshire. This was typical of what to expect: on a more rural type of road (but can be busy one), road narrows a bit as you approach an old bridge, prominent signs stating "Toll Bridge" and giving prices (these are ancient rights and you may see "pedestrians - nil; horses - 5p; motorcars - 10p; motortrucks - 15p; motorbuses - 20p; steam driven vehicles - 20p" etc.).

A person (usually male but one has to be so PC) steps out in front of your car (!!) and holds his/her hand out. You put a small amount into the hand and you may or may not get a ticket. Then you drive over. Sometimes, esp in evening/overnight, there will be no one there.

We also have a few Toll bridges/tunnels on motorways and major roads (eg into / out of Wales) and on one fairly short new car only motorway in central England. These are just like the Toll Gates you will be more used to with channelled traffic; tollbooths; buckets and people to "throw" money at. Costs here will be £2 upwards.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll Booths

The Toll Bridge Lane one is at Bathampton, presumably - it's 50p a car. Can't locate the other one - where is it?

Don't know these particular ones but the usual procedure is you pay an attendant. If he's not on duty the bridge is either closed to traffic or it's free.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
686 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll Booths

If it is the one at Bathampton its very simple you go over a bridge - sometimes there is no charge at this one.

But the man will stand out and i think its 25p or something like that

the bridge is very old like most of bath

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll Booths

Travelling the A46 to Bath exit onto London Rd, slight right at Toll Bridge Road <partial toll> and onto Mill Lane <Toll Road>.

I am travelling from Withington, Cheltenham to Stourhead, below Warminster, Wiltshire. A 2 hr trip.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll Booths

It's one and the same toll - it's the way the data has been put in your route planner that suggests there might be two.

50p according to a website I found earlier.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll Booths

Many Thanx- I'm always trying to be prepared.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll Booths

Hi there

The toll is currently 50p each way and is a good shortcut in/out of Bath if the traffic is bad ( which it usually is...).

If you don't HAVE to drive in Bath, why not use the Park and Rides? Bath has a complicated one-way system that baffles many visitors, parking is hard to find and is expensive if you strike lucky.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll Booths

YES - I have been wondering if there is a website

with a map of the Park and Rides of Bath?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Toll Booths

Are you sure you are not confusing it with Troll Bridge Road? I think that's off the A36 at Limpley Stoke. Rather than pay 50p you are challenged by a 'Halt, who goes there?' from the voice of a giant who lives under the bridge. Most motor cars are exempt but charges apply if you are a Billy Goat Gruff.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toll Booths

Ha The 'Eat me when I'm fatter" concept would only be appropriate if I was local. Since I am from

Canada visions of a cuddly Winnie the Pooh are all that I can muster. England certainly has it's fair share of frightening tales.

Get answers to your questions about Wiltshire