We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Horse Trail - driving not walking!

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
White Horse Trail - driving not walking!

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help - I've been looking for a road map of theWiltshire white horses - My Mum has long been fascinated with them but has difficulty walking far so I thought of taking her on a road trip instead. We would be coming from London, hopefully seeing the Uffington horse, then seeing all the Wiltshire horses and staying overnight in Bradford on Avon, then heading to Devon the next day.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,807 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Horse Trail - driving not walking!

The AA Road map for 2012 (in paperback book form, 4 miles to one inch) is widely obtainable and shows the location of the White Horses.

The Uffington Horse - the oldest White Horse - is well signposted off the B4507 between Wantage and Ashbury. There is a large car park but also a smaller one - holding maybe 6 or 8 vehicles - much higher up the narrow road and just below the Horse. It is signed for use of the elderly and disabled only - it sounds as though your mother qualifies! From this small car park there are fine views over the countryside and a footpath leading up to the Horse. The path is very steep.

It is not possible to photograph the whole Horse from any point nearby but it can be seen "in toto", appearing only about one and a half inches long from nose to tail, from the B4508 between Fernham and Longcot.

If you have not already seen it, you may find this website of assistance:

www.wiltshirewhitehorses.org.uk

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Horse Trail - driving not walking!

This is a useful little book: amazon.co.uk/White-Horses-Wiltshire-Uffingto…

Gives you locations, general info and tour directions, plus locations for the best views.

Edited: 02 September 2012, 13:00
Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Horse Trail - driving not walking!

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Horse Trail - driving not walking!

Hi there

I might be a bit late now but here's a link to a journal I wrote a few years ago which gives map references for all the horses

igougo.com/journal-j57822-Wiltshire-The_Wilt…

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,807 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Horse Trail - driving not walking!

In response to GB's comment - in his igougo journal - that almost all the White Horses face to the left ..... I believe that this is, simply, because they were designed by right-handed people. For a right-handed person it is much easier to start with the horse's head then work from left to right, just as one writes.

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Horse Trail - driving not walking!

The Devizes white horse is the only one in Wiltshire to face right - this is so that it appears to be running towards the Alton Barnes horse. (The Uffington horse also faces right.)

The Devizes horse celebrates its 13th birthday with a party on Saturday 29th September. See below:

On Saturday 29th September 2012 at 4.00 pm

at the Devizes White Horse on Roundway Hill

The Devizes White Horse will be 13 years old on 29th September 2012.

Please come and join us celebrate the birthday of this landmark which is

clearly visible from our estate and the school. Bring a picnic if you wish –

and flowers to make a garland to put round the horse’s neck.

Parking is limited so if you would like to walk up to the hill with us, please

meet at the Palmer Road playpark on the Quakers Walk estate at 2.30pm.

ALL children must be accompanied by an adult and be supervised.

This activity is to be undertaken at your own risk.

More information: quakerswalkcommunitygroup.blogspot.com

7. Re: White Horse Trail - driving not walking!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2013, 10:17