We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one week in wiltshire with kids

Safi, Malta
10 posts
Save Topic
one week in wiltshire with kids

We are travelling to wiltshire next year with 2 kids ages 6 and 4 respectively and where wondering where is the best town to stay in. we want a self catering accomodation and would probably rent a car. any help pls - thanks

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one week in wiltshire with kids

Bradford on Avon, Devizes and Salisbury qould be the obvious choices but I suspect that a lot of the self catering accommodation will be located in the smaller villages. The choice also depends on what you want to do whilst you are there.

A visit to http://www.visitwiltshire.co.uk may help to give you some ideas.

P-t-B

Safi, Malta
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: one week in wiltshire with kids

we want to have a nice relaxing holiday with the kids as taking them to places that they would enjoy...that is why we would probably hire a car so we would have freedom of movement.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one week in wiltshire with kids

Marlborough is a very nice country market town, lots of individual shops and some very nice tea shops there.

Err, is there a specific reason you're going to Wiltshire? I know parts of the county reasonably well, especially the eastern part of the county, from Hungerford out to Marlboro, Beckhampton, down through Pewsey to Amesbury and Salisbury

Some delightful countryside, quaint English pubs, but it's not the first place that comes to mind especially if you're wanting to find lots of things to keep two youngsters occupied.

Safi, Malta
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: one week in wiltshire with kids

I have family in that area around wiltshire and somerset.....and thought maybe i would post on a forum to get some other ideas besides that of the family!!!!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one week in wiltshire with kids

Hi there

Devizes is a good central location. It's a historic old town with lots of good shops, pubs and a huge variety of places to eat. There's an outdoor market on Thursdays, the museum, Wadworth's Visitor Centre which includes seeing the shire horses, boat rides on the Kennet & Avon Canal, a lovely, newly refurbished park with stuff for the kids at Hillworth Road and lots more. It's within a 35 min drive from Longleat, it's near to Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge, Avebury, Silbury Hill and West Kennet Long Barrow.

Lots of good walks in the immediate area at Drews Pond Nature Reserve, Roundway Hill or along the canal towpath to see the Caen Hill Flight. There's a pond in the centre of the town if the kids like feeding ducks. You are also within a short ride of beautiful villages like Castle Combe and Lacock.

flickr.com/photos/…

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,899 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one week in wiltshire with kids

As well as the towns mentioned above, Malmesbury is also nice.

But, as Phil the Bus mentioned above, most of the self catering accomodation will be away from the towns.

Several years ago my family rented a self catering apartment on a working farm half way between Bradford on Avon and Trowbridge.

I can't remember what the place was called though.

You also mentioned Somerset - my family once rented self catering accomodation here: www.toghillhousefarm.co.uk/self_cat.htm

I stayed a few nights (even though I only lived down the road in Bath) and it was a very good base to visit the east of Somerset, Wiltshire and the Cotswolds.

P.S. I just checked and Toghill Farm is just over the border in South Gloucestershire. Not that it really matters - it's still a good location. ;-)

Edited: 28 October 2012, 10:36
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one week in wiltshire with kids

I stayed here - http://www.spindlewoodlodges.co.uk/ - with my Mum in the Spring. It's near Glastonbury, so not too far from where you want to be. It was very peaceful & plenty of space for the kids to run around, as well as being within an hour's drive of loads of sites/attractions etc.

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
300 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one week in wiltshire with kids

There are some rentals on this website, some in towns: www.independentcottages.co.uk/wiltshire/

My sister has booked Westview right in the middle of Devizes when they come over for a family wedding next spring - but it's a bit big for your group.

Try Visit Wiltshire here: visitwiltshire.co.uk/accommodation/self-cate… (Note their shiny new website!)

Or Wiltshire Tourist Guide here: wiltshiretouristguide.com/…

Edited: 29 October 2012, 12:39
Safi, Malta
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: one week in wiltshire with kids

thanks to all for your help will look into the information you gave me...if you have anything else pls let me know

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: one week in wiltshire with kids

I would go for being based in Bradford on Avon - where there is some self-catering, but as others say, most of it is in the countryside.

The main advantage of BoA (from the kids point of view) is that you can go to several places by train, and avoid dragging everyone around by car. You will still need a car, but the train option is really useful if you fancy going to Bath, Bristol or Salisbury - where driving is a pain.

Some personal recommendations with kids in mind (our two kids are 7 and 4):

BoA

Tithe barn, canal and Barton Country park are good for an afternoon on a nice day. Bike hire and kayak hire are available too, also day boats on the canal.

Easy access to Bath, Bristol, Salisbury by train

Lots of good eating options.

25 minutes drive from Longleat (spend a day)

Also Farleigh Hungerford Castle (5 mins drive or so) - not much to see but our kids love it, beautiful walks along the river.

Further afield (30 mins or so drive) - Nunney Castle, and East Somerset Steam Railway (near Frome).

On wet days there are soft play places in Trowbridge and Frome (both OK), or Bath.

40 mins drive from Avebury - more impressive (in my opinion) than Stonehenge and more for kids to do.

Bath

12 mins by train from BoA

Kids seem to like the Roman Baths

Brilliant playground in Victoria park (gets busy)

Our kids just enjoy wandering around the shops

Excellent children's theatre (the Egg)

Bristol

25 minutes by train from BoA

SS Great Britain - our kids love "the big boat"

Ferry trips round the harbour

@Bristol - science museum sort of venue

Aquarium - expensive, but OK.

Salisbury

Bizarrely our kids love the cathedral - and running around the cathedral green

Other easy accessible possibles: The Courts (NT garden), Iford Manor (garden, tea room). They both have lots of little separate garden areas and lots of water features, so loads of running around and splashing.

Wells is also a lovely town to visit - about 45 mins drive. Similar to Salisbury in some ways, but much smaller.

Anyway - just some thoughts. I hope they help.