We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses! from stonehenge to avebury

London, England...
1 post
Save Topic
Buses! from stonehenge to avebury

hiya, i'm planning a day trip and its getting confusing. i want to do it as a loop. london to salisbury to stonehenge to avebury to swindon then back to london.

so far, i got the bus from salisbury to stonehenge. the stonehenge tour is the obvious choice bu t i'm wondering if the x5 to amesbury is also an option (www.salisburyreds.co.uk/service.shtml…)?

then i'm looking for a bus to get from stonehenge to avebury without returning to salisbury if its possible? coming up empty here so far. would love some suggestions!

then i'm looking for a bus from avebury to swindon which i figured its Service 49 Swindon - Devizes - Trowbridge via Avebury (http://www.swindonbus.info/tts/049.htm). is this the best option?

i want to be efficient so i can buy cheap tickets from london with fixed time.

thank you for your help & recommendations!

1. Re: Buses! from stonehenge to avebury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 June 2013, 19:40
Edited: 15 June 2013, 19:40
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses! from stonehenge to avebury

AFAIK there's no bus from either Stonehenge or even Salisbury to Avebury

Traveline southwest gives a route of train from Salisbury to Trowbridge then the 49 bus

Amesbury doesn't help - it's a different place in the wrong direction from Salisbury (hence the removal of my first post - I got horribly confused)

3. Re: Buses! from stonehenge to avebury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 December 2015, 00:02
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buses! from stonehenge to avebury

As already mentioned - #3 - the Henge Hopper service was discontinued.

Travelling from Swindon, the hourly service 49 is the best option for visiting Avebury. The bus stop - the only one within the village - is outside the Red Lion pub.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buses! from stonehenge to avebury

As the others have said, this really isn't an easy journey to do in a day using Public Transport.

Firstly, the only public transport to/from Stonehenge is "The Stonehenge Tour" bus that takes you from Salisbury train station to Stonehenge and back again - see http://www.thestonehengetour.info/ . Bus service X5 does not go close enough (unless you fancy a 2 mile walk each way).

To get to Avebury from Salisbury, your best bet would probably be to take bus number 2 to Devizes, then take bus number 49 from there to Avebury (this is the same bus 49 that runs to Avebury from Swindon). However the connecting times in Devizes are not that clever and it does not run on Sundays - see www.salisburyreds.co.uk/service.shtml… for the times of bus number 2.

Phil-the-Bus

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buses! from stonehenge to avebury

You could get a taxi from Salisbury, via Stonehenge - where you could get the taxi driver to stop for a couple of minutes so can get a photo of the "stones" - to Avebury, where, to be honest, there is a lot more to see than at Stonehenge, and where you can spend several hours looking around.

Then get some food and a pint in the Red Lion pub, and then get the bus to Swindon for the train back into London.

I haven't got a clue how much a taxi would cost from Salisbury to Avebury, via Stonehenge; but it will make things a lot easier for you.

You could try and search for taxi companies in Salisbury and contact them to get a price to get to Avebury. ;-)

uk
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buses! from stonehenge to avebury

hi there,

I want to do a private access visit to Stonehenge, I will be on foot, they are early morning or late evenings, how far is it from Stonehenge to avebury if I am walking, is it walkable.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buses! from stonehenge to avebury

About 20 miles.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buses! from stonehenge to avebury

It's around 20-25 miles. Not walkable