We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choice of hotel in Marlborough, please help

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
choice of hotel in Marlborough, please help

We breezed through the handsome market town of Marlborough several years back, stopping briefly.

This time we'll be staying 3-4 nights to enjoy the town in the evening and do a bit of the Ridgeway to Barbury Castle during the day. We'll have a car.

Hotels/Inns under consideration:

The Castle & Ball, High Street

The Green Dragon, High Street

The Bear, High Street with an entrance on the Parade

The Lamb Inn Hotel, the Parade

Have read the TA reviews of all of them but the impression left is mixed.

Any further input would be most appreciated.

Should probably mention that on the previous stop I poked my head into the Bear and loved the ambience. We're not looking for la de da, or House Doctor California overlay onto good old English inn feeling and atmosphere.

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: choice of hotel in Marlborough, please help

Hi there

I live just 10 miles from Marlborough so have never needed to stay there but I do travel all across the southern half of the UK and would always prefer to stay in a decent quality B & B rather than a hotel. For a start, there are usually fewer rooms, therefore, in theory at least, service should be better as there are fewer guests. Pubs/Inns in this part of the county tend to be quite rustic and should be cheaper than a hotel. Marlborough likes to portray itself as being fairly "upmarket" for whatever reasons I can never fathom, and hotel rooms are priced accordingly as indeed are local restaurants and shops.

I have had a few ales in all the pubs you mention, if the quality of the accommodation in any of them is equal to the ale served then I'd definitely stick to a pub, but that's your call naturally.

As far as reviews are concerned, they will always vary. Different people have varying expectations, some will stay in a pub B & B then moan because it doesn't offer haute cuisine or because the 17th century stairs creak. As long as the reviews for anywhere are balanced, ie. some good, some bad, some indifferent then it wouldn't deter me from staying there. If they were all bad, then obviously, I'd look elsewhere.

I do think though that you'd get a much better feel for the town by staying in a pub B & B rather than a hotel, and you're more likely to meet locals in a pub than in a hotel

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: choice of hotel in Marlborough, please help

thanks, GB, very good advice.

Helped in the decision making process.

Cheers!

If any other local on the forum wants to advise, it would be much appreciated too.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 00:00
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: choice of hotel in Marlborough, please help

You're welcome sticky.

Reply to: choice of hotel in Marlborough, please help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wiltshire